1903 from 1909

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1903 from 1909

The metal finish on this December 1909 rifle is the original blue, turned brown.

The barrel under the handguard shows beautiful bluing that never saw the light of day.
    Last edited by milgunsguy; 07-26-2018, 07:12 PM.

I have a old adult sized .22 rifle that has been passed down in the family. It originally belonged too my Great Uncle, then my Dad, and now its mine. Its is a old Mossberg and at the time the bluing was looking more like browning. I took a chance when I was cleaning it in who known how long, first with my finger and a good drip of CLP as a test on the barrel and the brown started too lift then I moved up with a stiff tooth brush and plenty of CLP. The brown slowly lifted while being rubbed away and you could then see what looked like maybe bluing underneath. After a few scrubs and wipe downs with a sacrificial microfiber cloth, the bluing has a very rich hue and for a working mans .22 rifle made in the early 1930's I was quite surprised how nice it was under the grunge.

‚Äč

Comment

Looks like a faint B.H.M. cartouche on your stock, believe the single bolt was added around 1908. You can check out the bolt by the marking. These pre WW1 rifles are difficult to find and also difficult to restore.

Comment

Working...
      X