Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assorted M1903 Parts

Hey all,
    I have these M1903 parts here as part of a large parts deal. Anything valuable or desirable that you can see? Should I be looking for any specific markings or features that would determine manufacturer or time period?? I really know very, very little about the M1903, so any help is greatly appreciated......thanks!!
    --Brian

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6259.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	33843

Name:	IMG_6260.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	33841

Name:	IMG_6261.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	33842
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Top picture.
    The bolt bodies appear to all be for a 1903. Some handles are straight, some handles are slightly curved. Some of the straight handle bolts may have been heated improperly and may shatter in use. There are plenty of articles about the improper heat treatment of 1903 bolts and low serial numbered receivers and opinions about shooting or not shooting those rifles.
    The best way to identify the bolts are by the codes on the bolt handle. Remingtons have a "R". The Springfield bolts have heat lot code on the bolt handle which help narrow down the year of manufacture.

John Beard, who volunteered at CMP is an expert on 03's and A3's and made a website about them.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html

Middle picture.
    The trigger guards are all stamped and most likely Remington or Smith-Corona. From what I see they all appear to be Remington.
    Looking at the front screw hole, you will notice that it is slightly lower then the rest of the trigger guard. If the line between the two sections is straight across, it's Remington. If the line is curved around the screw hole, it's Smith-Corona.
    Bottom right ....You can identify the firing pins from John Beard's website.
    The 3 small body rear sights are 03A3 sights. Remingtons are identified by a "R" under the peep sight at the bottom of the slide.
    The larger body sights are M1 Carbine. They will have many various codes because plenty of the parts were outsourced. If you have a lot of carbine parts, "US M1 Carbines Wartime Production" book by Craig Riesch is great for identifying parts. Otherwise post the codes or some pictures of the codes (if you can find them)
    Some of the rear sights look beat up as if someone removed them from the receiver with a hammer instead of a sight removal tool.

Bottom picture.

The smooth butt plates are Springfield 03. The large checkering is Smith-Corona, the small, Remington. John Beard's website has pictures.
    The top 2 front bands with the stacking swivel are 1903. The other six are A3 bands, the stacking swivel is on its own band. Of course Remington would have a "R".
    The bottom 2 pieces are M1 Carbine stock recoil plates.

I don't see anything really rare. If some of the 03 bolts body are from an earlier production then they are more desirable.
    Last edited by jak; 02-07-2022, 11:17 AM.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

• Jersey Devil
      Jersey Devil commented
      Editing a comment
      Incredible information, Jak, thanks very much!!

I have sold early straight handle bolts with a dark finish for around $40 each, NS marked late bolts $150 to $200, SC bolts with the X get a good buck too. Alot depends on the finish, condition, and markings on the bolts. Smooth 1903 butt plate gets around $30 in nice condition

Comment

• Jersey Devil
      Jersey Devil commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Thanks for your info, Robert!!

I could use 2 X marked bolts and 2 large checkering SC buttplates! They usually go for 50 each.
    Last edited by 1563621; 02-09-2022, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• RCS
      RCS commented
      Editing a comment
      I could use a late bolt marked J 5

3 SC butts on ebay now for 55-59.

Comment

• Jersey Devil
      Jersey Devil commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll send you a PM shortly. Thanks!
Working...