03A3 bolt id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03A3 bolt id

Have a 03A3 which I purchased from a coworker for $35 in the 60’s. It is Remington but the underside of the bolt hand has what looks like an “I” in lower case. It is a military reworked rifle. Anyone know what that means? Thanks.

Is there a "R" on the top or bottom of the bolt handle ? Pictures would help.

Comment

Here are a couple of pics. One is of the rear sights which I can’t identify. Care to take crack at it. Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, I must have a strange bolt. No one can identify yet, plus sights.

Comment

Move the peep sight to the top. Is there a "R" on the bottom that peep covered ? If so, Remington, if not possibly Smith-Corona or post war replacement.
          Bolt stamp is probably a hardness test. Nothing special about it. From the picture, it looks like the handle is polished. Maybe it was replaced.

Comment

You were correct. There is a “R” at the sight base. Here is a pic of a marking on top of the bolt handle. Any ideas?
            Attached Files

Comment

Based on the bolt I'm looking at now, the section with the handle looks replaced. The one I have has an "R" on the bottom of the bolt handle under the same hardness punch mark and an "8" on the top. The markings on the rear section look consistent with mine (at least if I guess the marking to the left rear on the bottom is a circled 8). There also should be a circled R on the band of the extractor opposite of the extractor itself if it follows what I'm looking at.

Interestingly enough, the rear sight on mine has what looks like an "11" instead of the "R" I expected and is blued. Since there's a circled P on the stock, my bet is it was arsenal replaced/inspected at some point in it's life. Front sight has an "E" on the blade to the right and is also blued. The front sight base is parked. Other than the sights (possibly), it looks all original at first blush. 3,737,000 range s/n.

Comment

Working...
              X