Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifle in 7,7mm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Arisaka Type 99 rifle in 7,7mm

I have some photos of two Type 99 Japanese rifles in 7,7 caliber, these rifles were sent back from Japan by my cousin who was in the 5th Marines, one for my father and the other for my uncle, they now belong to me. I have shot them with 7,7 Norma Jap and they work.

With the 75th Anniversary of Iwo Jima on Feb 19th here is some background on my cousin. He graduated from high school in June 1944 and turned 18 years old on July 4th 1944, six weeks later he was drafted in the USMC. He landed with the 5th Marines in the first wave on Iwo Jima, he was in forward fire control with three other marines. They directed aircraft on bombing and naval gunfire, he spent thirty one days on Iwo Jima without any injury. Later they were sent to Japan after Iwo Jima. He did not talk about the war for almost forty years but did tell me he carried a Winchester Model 12 shotgun. He died a few years ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2380.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	23047Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2381.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	23048

My uncle was a 17-18 year old assistant BAR gunner on IWO, 5th marines. Slightly injured, never talked about it until he saw either flags or our fathers, or letters from IWO. I have a sword of his and gave his type 99 rifle to his grandson. He entered at 16 and also fought as a 2nd Marine at Tarawa and was slightly wounded. Unfortunately, his rifle was duffle cut and he could not locate the front wood.

Comment

• RCS
      RCS commented
      Editing a comment
      My cousin sent the two rifles and two swords back in a wooden box,

Very nice! I once had an opportunity to buy a ammo type box with two rifles in it at a Gettysburg street sale but I thought at that time the price was a little high. It was a great looking box with the addresses on it, etc. If only I could have seen into the future.. but we all have those stories... Robert thank you for posting!

Comment

My Type 99. Got it from a LGS a few months ago. Usually don’t buy the story as it is probably embellished but this may be different. Vet brought back from PTO. Kept in closet and didn’t shoot it. Gave to his son 30 years ago and he didn’t shoot it. Son sold to LGS and I bought it. Plan to shoot this spring. Note first patch down barrel in 70+ years.

Comment

Nice looking Type 99, "mum" is very nice too. Have you checked for year of manufacture ? the Japanese collectors will tell you if you have photos of the left side, should also have the chrome plated bore (mine do). Worth the price of a box of good commerical 7,7 Jap to shoot.

The really rare example of the Type 99 are the examples converted by US Ordnance during the early part of the Korean War to fire 30M2 cartridge. Some of these ROK rifles did come back to the USA by veterans but they are not common

Comment

Here it is

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
            Nice looking Type 99, "mum" is very nice too. Have you checked for year of manufacture ? the Japanese collectors will tell you if you have photos of the left side, should also have the chrome plated bore (mine do). Worth the price of a box of good commerical 7,7 Jap to shoot.

The really rare example of the Type 99 are the examples converted by US Ordnance during the early part of the Korean War to fire 30M2 cartridge. Some of these ROK rifles did come back to the USA by veterans but they are not common
            Robert
            I read somewhere years ago that US Ordnance also convert Type 99 7.7 Jap rifles to 30-06 for Greece. At the end of WWII Greece fought a leftist coup attempt. The Greek government lacked arms, hence the US Ordnance converted Type 99 Japs to 30-06.

Comment

Working...
            X