building a 22 rim fire in a Springfield 1903 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a 22 rim fire in a Springfield 1903 rifle

Some years ago, I bought a cheap low number SA 1903 with a bad barrel from the CMP. Then had a quality 22 rim fire liner with a back extension installed for the M2 rim fire bolt. I wanted a bolt that had the headspace adjustment allen screw and found one in Indiana. I cut one coil off the sear spring for an improved trigger pull. Tried a few stocks too. Also installed a pre WW2 Lyman 438 scope with 4x. Photo show test targets at 20 feet with standard vel rim fire, next test will use some target rim fire Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3183.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	22422

Can you PM the gory details of this build? I would love to try this! Thanks!

Comment

You need a 1903 barrel with a bad bore, an action maybe even drill rifle ? also need to buy a M2 rim fire bolt. These are gunsmiths around who will install the liner with a back extension to fit the M2 bolt. If you have a lathe you can do the work yourself, Brownell's has the liners and drill etc. cost is low even with a good gunsmith doing the work Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010052_0042.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	22430

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
        You need a 1903 barrel with a bad bore, an action maybe even drill rifle ? also need to buy a M2 rim fire bolt. These are gunsmiths around who will install the liner with a back extension to fit the M2 bolt. If you have a lathe you can do the work yourself, Brownell's has the liners and drill etc. cost is low even with a good gunsmith doing the work Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010052_0042.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	22430

Thank you very much, that will be my next build!

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for posting

Comment

Here's my unaltered M1922M1 NRA Sales Type rifle and what it's capable of. Yours should do as well with the right ammo. I use the CCI std vel for practice and the expen$ive stuff when it really counts.
            Jon
            Last edited by TJT; 12-25-2019, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Same rifle. Same conditions. 5 shots at 100 yds using Eley Tenex
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X