Possible USMC 1903 rifle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible USMC 1903 rifle

I had this rifle quite awhile and never got around to checking the serial number with SRS. As it turns out this serial number is among the M1903 serial numbers of the USMC rifles used at Belleau Wood in Oct 1918. Some data Click image for larger version

Name:	2gtowfc.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	19725 may surface as research is still going on but it still could be a army rifle too. Barrel is RIA 5-18 (nice bore) which was only used during rebuilds, receiver is without the later Hatcher hole, early straight handle bolt. Stock is DAL cartouched, metal color is the post WW1. I added the post WW1 USMC sights

Looks good I think Cplnorton next door has a pretty good list/libary of USMC rifles.

Comment

Phil, CplNorton was the person that told me about the possible USMC connection

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
        Phil, CplNorton was the person that told me about the possible USMC connection
        I didn't see the #10 rear sight until now, I have a real USMC front sight cover if you don't have one.... I could part with it at a fair price if your interested.

Comment

Thanks Phil, but I have both the thicker USMC front sight and original cover. The nice part about the USMC sights is that when the leaf is down (as in my photo) the sights are for 200 yards as compared to the original front sight that was 547 yards.

Comment

Working...
          X