1903 Springfield vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1903 Springfield vs. Tactical Carbine Course

Hi all! Here is my first video of the new year, and it's one of my favorites. In this one, I'm pitting my trusty '03 against the current Ohio Peace Officer's patrol rifle qualification course to see if I can pull off a qualifying score. The course and its time limits, were devised with a semi-automatic tactical carbine in mind. To see how the old war horse performs, check out the video! As always, be sure to share your thoughts with me afterward.

Happy New Year!
    Howard

Nice video. I shoot a 1903A3 in some of our matches. Rapid fire and reload are a blast.

I would like to point out something that might help you in the rapid fire.
    You are doing what I did. You are grabbing the bolt to reload. Instead, after you fire just open up your hand and flip up and bring back the bolt with trigger finger and then push the bolt forward and down with your palm. It's just like waving your hand. Years ago, an old timer ( I'm an old timer now ) showed me how to do this and it really helps in the rapid fire. Also, since you already have your safety glasses on, you don't have to worry about poking yourself in the eye with your thumb.

Comment

• Hrfunk
      Hrfunk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the tip! I'll give it a try.

Howard

Nice rifle.

Comment

• Hrfunk
      Hrfunk commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!
      HRF

I have a 43 Remington 03A3 I resurrected from a drill rifle. She is my shooting partner every trip to the range. Makes me feel good inside knowing she is operational again. Love these old bolt guns! Thanks for posting, and Happy New year to you Howard!

Comment

• Hrfunk
      Hrfunk commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy New Year to you! Thanks for the comment!

Howard

Hmmmm, just a suggestion or three that I think would have given you two extra hits and some more time maybe even a possible. Wring/twist the rifle like a dish rag when working the bolt for rapid shooting. That way your head moves less and you are back on the rifle behind the sights faster. I use this method for power shifting the old stick shift in the rapids, when the bolt is closed trip the trigger with your pinky finger. I use SS Swedish stripper clips for there slick and smoother feeding of rounds into the rifle.

Comment

That was very cool, good shooting.

I have read all the comments and suggestions and can tell you no young shooters I have seen can do this with a bolt gun, or run 'em like you guys can. I think it's a dying art unfortunately.
      m14brian

Comment

Originally posted by Phil McGrath View Post
        Hmmmm, just a suggestion or three that I think would have given you two extra hits and some more time maybe even a possible. Wring/twist the rifle like a dish rag when working the bolt for rapid shooting. That way your head moves less and you are back on the rifle behind the sights faster. I use this method for power shifting the old stick shift in the rapids, when the bolt is closed trip the trigger with your pinky finger. I use SS Swedish stripper clips for there slick and smoother feeding of rounds into the rifle.
        Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try!

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by m14brian View Post
          That was very cool, good shooting.

I have read all the comments and suggestions and can tell you no young shooters I have seen can do this with a bolt gun, or run 'em like you guys can. I think it's a dying art unfortunately.
          m14brian
          One of the reasons I like doing these tests is because our Great Grandfathers had to actually fight with these rifles. Granted, the fighting in WWI was somewhat different than today. Even so, if Great Grandpa was on a reconnaissance mission and he happened across an enemy soldier at close range, he had to be able to engage him with his issued weapon. I think the video demonstrates just how capable the old '03 was when used in that capacity. In any case, Great Grandpa came home or else I wouldn't be here!

Howard

Comment

Working...
          X