M1917 Enfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1917 Enfield

So I picked up a M1917 Enfiled. Took it apart, lots of gunk. Cleaning it up, does anyone have recommendations for cleaning the stock, I saw in you tube steel wool? Also, should I use garand grease to lube after or would regular gun oil suffice?

thoughts?

What is the current condition of the stock? Is it dry or oily and greasy?

Comment

It’s dry, but it’s got grease stains and dark spots, general grime.

Comment

Originally posted by Joesarno View Post
        So I picked up a M1917 Enfiled. Also, should I use garand grease to lube after or would regular gun oil suffice?

thoughts?
        Use grease.

Comment

I’m gonna clean it up take it to range to make sure it works, then store it. 😁

Comment

How about more info on your 1917. Manufacture, barrel markings and date, WWI original or WWII rebuild?

Comment

Stock says 3km-g or something like that ,I’ll have to look again and there is a p on the grip, area, where and what am I looking for on the barrel, sorry new to collecting these....

Comment

I always clean "new" milsurp stocks with MEK and 4-0 steel wool and then oil them with linseed oil. No need for any stain. It takes EVERY THING off, down to the bare wood.
                Jon

Comment

Awesome. Thank you mi ordered some 0000 steel from amazon yesterday. MEK I will look for....

Comment

Receiver ring is stamped with makers name and serial number. A far as the barrel, maker and date stamped behind rear sight on the barrel.

Comment

Here are some photos, I hope you can see, but there is a JA and looks like a little bomb on front of barrel, a P under hand grip, and 3GM-k on stock as well.

Comment

Manufacture is Remington. The barrel is a WWII Johnson Automatic replacement. 3GM-k is a rebuild stamp.

Comment

Ok ty. In your o-inion. What’s the worth?

Comment

I have a Winchester just like your Remington. WWII rebuilds are not worth what a straight WW1 is worth. That said a WWII rebuild is a leget WWII combat weapon. It documented
                            1917 were issued to US rear troops and artillery units in North Africa in the beginning of the war.

Comment

I figured as much, ball park 500 maybe? I only paid 300 for it, wondering if I got a good deal?

Comment

Working...
                              X