Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 Carbine Wont Extract

Hey guys

I have an M1 Carbine handed down to me from my father in law. I took it to the range to shoot for the first time but it doesn't extract the spent casing after a round is fired. It feeds and extracts perfectly if I work the bolt without firing. Thinking the expanding brass is fouling the extraction for some reason. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks for any advice yall have

Adam

A few things:
    1. What ammunition are you using?
    2. Has the rifle been properly lubricated? (Dry in NOT good!)
    3. What is the condition of the chamber, is it rough and pitted?
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Is it a GI or commercial M1 carbine? Remove the barreled action from the stock. Check and see if gas piston is frozen? Dribble some Hoppes #9 around the piston to free it up if frozen. Check to make sure gas nut is tight. On late Universal commercial M1 Carbines the piston can be reversed to make the carbine a straight pull.

Comment

I almost want to say that the extractor spring might be a little weak to the point the issue shows up only when firing and it needs that extra oomph to grab the rim. Replacing that can get tricky without the bolt tool to reassemble as you would otherwise need three or more hands to do it without. Another thought is the extractor and it's spring might need proper lubrication to work when firing or the spring is getting a little hung up on some crud, but the weak spring feels more correct to me. Purely a guess.
        The other suggestions are fairly good too.

Comment

The extractor lip could be out-of-spec too.
          Jon

Comment

Working...
          X