M1 carbine Hammer not cocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 carbine Hammer not cocking

I took apart my new to me carbine to clean all the old grease and junk off. I got it all back together but one thing I noticed that when you pull back the charging handle it doesn’t cock the hammer all the way back. I took it out of the stock to get a better look and you can see the bolt pulling the hammer back but is not catching if I use my finger and pull back on the hammer I can get it to cock back in places. Did I do something wrong reassembling the trigger group? Stupidly I didn’t notice if it was doing the same thing before I took it apart. Also if I really yank back on the charging handle when the gun is out of the stock it will cock 30% of the time. In the stock I have not successfully got the hammer to lock in place

Almost sounds like the sear/trigger arrangement isn't together right in some fashion. It can be a bear to reassemble if you did a full trigger group strip...like you need extra hands you don't have. Maybe the sear spring got knocked out of whack when you put it together and it's binding or you put the wrong spring in. The tool to insert the trigger spring also helps make that insertion easier, but the trigger/sear arrangement can be a total pain to hold in place while you try to put the pin in. The first time I did one, I uttered a number of very colourful words while I reassembled it and the sear kept wiggling around on me. I actually had to walk away for a minute and ponder on how I could do it right.

According to the Riesch book, type I sear springs are 16 coils of wire, 0.145" OD and aboot 0.700" long with ground flats on the ends of the spring. Type II sear springs have tapered ends with small flats on them, 15 coils of wire, same OD, and 0.655" long and most likely the one you have. You MIGHT have mixed up the safety plunger catch spring, but the out of whack binding spring seems more plausible. I seriously doubt the hammer spring is the culprit as they are pretty straightforward.
    With the trigger group removed, you should be able to cycle the operation slide and bolt easily as there is only the op slide spring involved. If that binds, check the spring/follower for the op slide to see if anything there is acting squirrelly. Then move back to the trigger group and check the sear spring alignment or if it got ganked somehow.

Comment

There's no such animal as a "charging handle" on an M1 carbine. It has an "operating slide handle". Please don't use modern black rifle nomenclature on these fine, old war horses.
      As for the hammer not cocking, it sounds to me that there is a problem with the sear. Are you sure the springs and pins are all properly located? If you notice, on the sear, its mounting point is a slot, not a hole. It's designed to slide AND pivot. Check to see that it slides as designed. It could also be a worn sear notch on the hammer or any combination thereof of the sear/hammer mating surfaces. If you can, post a video of the cocking operation so we can try to ascertain what is, or isn't happening.
      Jon
      Last edited by TJT; 05-27-2021, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X