What is this? M1 carbine marking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this? M1 carbine marking

New to forum and M1 carbine. I have searched and found kart as Norwegian but letter after k is definitely not an a. It also seems that there was something above that at one time and sanded off. Israeli?
    I ran up on this and it looked lost so I adopted it lol

It looks like an "A" to me. The left line is at a diagonal and about 1/8 of the way up from the bottom there is the beginning a horizontal line.
    I never saw a stamping like that one. Maybe someone at the Carbine Collector's Club forum could give you an answer.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

That's a new one for me. I'm with jak on that. Maybe root around in the Bavarian Carbine site.

Comment

Thanks. Been an adventure trying to decode this thing. It is a inland that, I’m guessing, was sent back and gone over by Underwood (.U.) on stock. It has serial numbers stamped in stock (Israeli) and now looking like it hung around in Norway.

Comment

jak, after reading your comment now it looks obvious that it’s an A. I guess I was looking for stenciling like the others I had seen posted regarding coastal artillery and the light stamping threw me off lol. I think the numbers above that were the rack numbers that got sanded off from Israeli use. It was imported from Davidson’s Greensboro, N.C.

Comment

I picked up 10 each Winchesters and Rockola Bavarian M-1s when they were first imported @ $125.00 each. I never saw that marking on any of them.

Comment

I’m thinking this gun was sent back to Underwood and recoil plate was changed out and stock stamped (.U. on both). It was then sent to Norway and then made its way to Israel where serial numbers were stamped in stock and rack number was added and eventually sanded off. Sand pattern matches up with this. Would this seem plausible to y’all? They could have used a smaller file lol

Comment

The M1 Carbines that Davidson's imported did indeed come from Israel. They were used for kibbutz protection.

Comment

Thanks RDS, I don’t give a flip about it being an import. To me it adds more to the conversation about this particular gun when you can track its movements. There is no telling what all this old gal has seen and been a part of in her world travels. I just wish I could find out where the first stop was when it was issued.

Comment

Working...
                  X