M1 Carbine barrel pitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 Carbine barrel pitting

I found a winchester m1 carbine for sale locally and the guy let me run a bore scope through and there is quite a bit of pitting. Do you guys think i should walk away from it?

The ammunition made for the carbine during WWII used non-corrosive primers from what I read somewhere. That could just be crud that might clean out with solvent and a brush. It could also be the result of leaving the rifle without a film of grease or oil in the barrel. I would see if the dealer will let you clean it first.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

USGI carbine ammo was all non corrosive but there us other corrsosive ammo out there that may have been fired through it

Comment

some French 30 carbine is corrosive

Comment

There was also some Dominican Republic ammo around in the 70s that was corrosive. Also there was Chinese ammo stamped LC 52 and berdan primed that is corrosive. It was around in the 1990s. Make sure the gas piston and nut are not rusted solid. JB Bore paste may help to bring the shine back. If the price is adjusted to reflect the bore condition it may not be a deal breaker. If seller is looking for full boat price walk away.
          Last edited by RDS; 03-02-2021, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X