M1 carbine type 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1 carbine type 1

I have an Inland M1 carbine purchased about 50 yrs. ago that has a 16 inch barrel, otherwise appears to be standard in all other respects. Any suggestions?

I would keep it, I was dumb and sold my 7-44 barrel Inland back in'99, now they're worth 3x - 5x what I got for it.
    m14brian

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The length of a carbine barrel is 16". I am guessing that is what you are asking.

Comment

I noted standard barrel length for M1 Carbine is 18 inches.....the barrel length on the one I have is only 16 inches...will not accommodate a bayonet lug....is that a special barrel length? thanks to all!!

Comment

Type 1 and type 2 barrel bands had no bayonet lug. The type 3 did. The type 3 was installed on Inlands late in WWII. Also type 3 were install during rebuilds. The barrel band had the sling swivel and holds down the front of the hand guard. Pictures of your carbine would help.

Comment

Have also observed a Winchester M1 carbine with serial #1,124,xxx...In checking Winchester production numbers thru 1945 the highest number produced is 838,059...did they produce in excess of a million ?

Comment

The 10 carbine manufacturers were assigned serial number ranges. Winchester had several serial number ranges but that doesn't mean they used all the serial numbers within their assigned group.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/serialnumbers.html

Comment

I'm with jak...photos would help.
                If the barrel was actually shortened like you say, the barrel manufacturer's stamp and date will be missing or at best covered by the front sight.
                Very odd.

Comment

Winchester made approximately 800,000 carbines. They made the 2nd highest amount of the 10 primary contracters. Only Inland Div of GM made more--roughly 4.5 million carbines of the total 6 million produced during WWII.
                  Jon

Comment

Does the barrel have any markings at all? Check the breach end both top and bottom for markings. Winchester carbine serial numbers on the high end are in the 6 million range.
                    Last edited by RDS; 07-29-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X