Un-identified mixmaster carbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Un-identified mixmaster carbine

I have a Mixmaster carbine that I would like to get some feedback on. Shoots great and in excellent condition. A few thoughts from you. First I thought it was a civilian knock-off but the closer I looked at it, it seemed to be an arsenal remake. (1) No bbl maker just a punch mark near front sight and a flaming bomb on the flat by the piston. (2) Handguard is "IO" (Inland) with the potbelly stock with a "SA" stock - nothing in sling well. (3) "MR" -(Mt. Rainier O.D.) also above sling well. (4) Serial number 112xxx range - last two numbers appear to be restamped or monkeyed with to some extent. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. photos to follow.

Comment

The s/n looks like it was restamped. Notice the difference in quality between the s/n and the stamping on the front of the receiver. If the s/n is correct it would be an Inland. Of course some one cut out Inland Div from the top of the receiver. Post some more pictures of the entire receiver top, sides and bottom.

Comment

Enclosed are some requested photos of "Mixmaster" carbine. I have shot this carbine a few times and shoots great. I have the usual concerns about welded receivers and anything else that may be of a safety concern. Hope these will give you folks a more clear indication of my carbine. I removed the rear sight as I am old and use a Tru-Glo rear sight.

Comment

It could just be lighting but the 3rd picture looks suspicious to me. The middle of the receiver looks rough and pitted while the rest of the receiver looks smooth. However, the other side of the receiver doesn't show it. I still don't understand why someone would remove the manufacture's name.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
            gunnyarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            Jak: I noticed that too and went down and checked with a magnifying glass. In real life the rough texture is overall and the blue shading appears to be a photo anomaly. However before I shoot again - am taking it to a competent gunsmith for evaluation. Because there are so many differences than in a normal carbine it raises red flags. Thanks for your observations.

Trigger group is Springfield Armory. Odd there isn't a manufacturer's mark with date on the barrel. Might be production in aftermarket OR if it was very rusty and bead blasted and/or polished up some before repark, it got worn off. Somewhere in the back of my cobweb infested head, there's a recollection of who used the flaming bomb stamp in that location, but I don't recall and can't find it in my books. Give the barrel a really good going over to see if it's marked SA somewhere. I'm suspecting it's one of theirs. Try a REALLY bright light at several angles to see if faint markings show up. (I've done that before to a re-contoured barrel on another rifle I own. Works.) There SHOULD be a P marking 4-7" behind the muzzle. Winchester used their own WP in a circle proof on theirs. One more thing, if the barrel got turned down, it's easy to tell. Measure the diameter 1" behind the front sight where the manufacturer's marking normally is. Originals measured 0.597-0.600 at this point. I don't think the "punch mark" is really anything.
          The lined out manufacturer's mark makes me think it may have been a replaced receiver that got put together with other parts.
          I'm actually surprised the peep sight gives you trouble. They usually are good for older eyes. Maybe make the peep hole a little bigger or see if you can find a good ghost ring type replacement that will work in the rear dovetail. Those stamped improved sights are rather plentiful, so boring out the peep shouldn't be sacrilegious. You could go out to where it's just a big ring and give it a go. If that works, stake it back in once you get it in the right location. Worth a try.

Comment

• gunnyarlow
            gunnyarlow commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the information - it all helps ! If by chance you are able to find your information on the flaming bomb on the bbl flat by the piston - please let me know, it would be very interesting ! I did some more checking with the micrometer - as follows - in front of front sight measures .580 for about 11/2" to 2" - so bayonet and front sight fit and then measures .598 the rest of the way to the gas port cylinder. The M4 bayonet is a "PaL" with no changes to the ring. With a serial number in the 112,000 range (early) another posting on another site stated that some early Inland bbls had the same marking on the flat as this one does (flaming bomb). If the balance of the bbl. measures .598 why would the front 1" to 2" have to be turned down to fit bayonet and possibly front sight which happens to be a stock "RIA" sight. Interesting (to me at least).
            Last edited by gunnyarlow; 06-20-2020, 08:23 PM.

Old post I know, but the receiver is cast and not forged. It's a commercial assembled carbine.

Comment

I agree with Ted. Look at photo 4. You can see two casting marks on the bottom front of the receiver.

Comment

Working...
            X