Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tight should the carbine be in the stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How tight should the carbine be in the stock?

I have an Inland carbine with an 11-42 barrel date and 5 digit serial number. It seems all original. I did change the slide because the one that was on it was heavily modified. There is a lot of slop in the stock. Could I bed it? Or are carbines just loose?

Thanks, Jon

Originally posted by JBishop View Post
    Or are carbines just loose?
    No. Loosen the recoil plate and reinstall the carbine in the stock. Give the stock a rap against the butt plate to seat the rifle and tighten the recoil plate screw.
    The recoil plate must be flush against the back of the receiver.

Comment

Here are some pictures to show what’s going on. You can see there is front and back movement and side to side. The recoil plate is flush. Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Here are some more pictures showing side to side movement. If more pictures are required let me know. I put this rifle in my reproduction paratroop stock and it fits tighter. But this is the stock I bought the rifle with and it’s beautiful.

Comment

Swap the recoil plates between the stocks and see if it makes a difference. The recoil plate holds down the rear of the rifle in the stock.

Comment

My other stock is a reproduction paratrooper stock. I ordered a recoil plate today. Why would bedding be a bad idea? I honestly think a new recoil plate won’t fix this. And I don’t want to buy a different stock. I did try refitting as you suggested, but it didn’t help.

Thanks, Jon

Comment

With the recoil plate screw cinched down, when the action and its accompanying parts are installed in the stock, the barrel should be slightly raised out of the barrel channel. Not a lot--it just shouldn't be lying in the bottom of the channel. Then when the HG and band are replaced, they should hold every thing snugly.
              If the trigger housing is loose on the receiver, LIGHTLY peen the slots where the legs on the rear of the receiver fit into the housing. Peen the housing only--DO NOT try to bend the receiver legs--they will break off and then you'll be screwed. This SHOULD help some with the sloppy metal-to-wood fit. I did this with my IP and it will group inside of 2" all day long at 100 yds. I once cleaned an SR target with it at 200 yds. They CAN shoot if you take the time to learn the vehicle and custom-tailor hand loads for it.
              Jon
              Last edited by TJT; 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I installed the new recoil plate today and I’ll have to say I’m pleased with the result. It still has a little side to side movement but none front to back. Thank you Jak for the knowledge. Jon, I will try the peening trick. Also the pin at the front of the trigger housing is loose and will just nearly fall out. Should I replace this before I peen the slots?

Thanks, Jon

Comment

JB,
                  No need to replace the pin. The stock will hold it in place.
                  Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X