First M1 Carbine looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First M1 Carbine looking for advice

Hello all , I bought my first M1 Carbine , its not a USGI but it's still a Carbine ,,,, anyway its a Plainfield , I have not shot it yet I bought it from a firearms dealer and I asked him has this been fired and did it have issues his answer was yes and it does have an issue cycling the rounds which he said may be related to the cheap S Korean ammo that he used I appreciated his honest reply and paid the man 650 dollars for the rifle two mags and about 100 rounds of Korean ammo . First thing I want to do before I fire this M1 is field strip it for cleaning and inspect easy peasey right , well first thing I notice is that the trigger group pin is so tight that I needed a tool to push the pin out , second the with pin out the trigger group is still stuck tight to the receiver with more effort than I think should be required I did get the group off (its a Rockola trigger group) , next I want to remove the slide using online info and YouTube it appears the slide with notch lined up the slide should easily kinda roll away , well that's not the case cause mine is so tight that I'd need tools or maybe a small file to enlarge the notch to allow the slide to roll away. Aany advice would be appreciated I really want to shoot this thing and hopefully solve the cycling issue..

To me it sounds like the receiver is out of spec. Like other aftermarket rifles, some are good, some are not. Personally, I would not shoot it.
    This link gives a good overview of the Plainfield carbine. Part IV (link on bottom of the Plainfield page) shows some of the poor machining done on the rifle.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield.html

Comment

Does the slide pass the tilt test? What is the serial range of the rifle? It cold be as simple as the slide rubbing on the stock. Removing the slide can be difficult. Remove the recoil spring. Disengage the slide handle from the receiver then slide the slide forward till the front lugs align with cut outs in barrel. Now twist off slide. Now you can check to see if the piston is froze.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
        Does the slide pass the tilt test? What is the serial range of the rifle? It cold be as simple as the slide rubbing on the stock. Removing the slide can be difficult. Remove the recoil spring. Disengage the slide handle from the receiver then slide the slide forward till the front lugs align with cut outs in barrel. Now twist off slide. Now you can check to see if the piston is froze.

Whats the tilt test?
        Its not the slide rubbing the stock cause its currently not mounted to the stock, could be a rough notch I suppose , been thing about doing a little file work.
        Last edited by Jackman; 02-18-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

"JAK To me it sounds like the receiver is out of spec. Like other aftermarket rifles, some are good, some are not. Personally, I would not shoot it.
          This link gives a good overview of the Plainfield carbine. Part IV (link on bottom of the Plainfield page) shows some of the poor machining done on the rifle.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Plainfield.html "

Shooting it is going to happen soon as I figure out the slide ,

Comment

Well had a bit of time today and attempted to shoot the M1 for the first time ever and well not so good, first squeeze of the trigger and click and no bang , gave it 5 seconds ejected round and not even a scratch on the primer hmm next three shoots were the same no bang so I check the action and from what I know and could see everything looked fine so I put the mag back in and zing with out a hitch it fired off seven rounds , pop in another mag and back to click and no bang so I tried just a single round no mag and same click no bang grrr ........... Shes clean and well oiled , Im thinking the Trigger group or the bolt needs a bit of attention, but that said I still haven't gotten the slide off so I suppose the firing pin could be dirty and need cleaning up but I've got to get that slide off first.... Any suggestions?

Comment

Did you check to see if the bolt was rotated completely into battery. If the bolt is not completely rotated into battery the firing pin is prevented from striking the primer. While leaving the action in the stock removed the handguard. Now check if the slide is hitting the stock. There is an angle cut on the stock that should have clearance between it and the slide when the slide is forward. Also make sure the slide is not hitting the rear of the hand guard when the slide is forward.

Comment

Did you check to see if the bolt was rotated completely into battery. If the bolt is not completely rotated into battery the firing pin is prevented from striking the primer. While leaving the action in the stock removed the handguard. Now check if the slide is hitting the stock. There is an angle cut on the stock that should have clearance between it and the slide when the slide is forward. Also make sure the slide is not hitting the rear of the hand guard when the slide is forward.
                Thank you for the reply , I've checked the slide and it is not rubbing on the wood and it goes forward and rearward enough that the bolt rotates and will dry fire with a solid click of the firing pin which I believe means the pin is being struck , the slide also goes back enough to operate the bolt . I'm confused by the slide in my 1st post, all the M1 Carbine vids show the slide easy being removed once you line up the notches and kinda lift and rotate the slide, my slide is not budging it won't lift thru the notch , I think my issues might be related to that stuck slide

Comment

Please describe procedure you are using to disassemble the slide from the action.

Comment

Please describe procedure you are using to disassemble the slide from the action.

Ive watched a few youtubes and they all seem to follow same procedure, line up the notch and lift and roll away the slide looks easy peasey , but not on my Plainfield Carbine.

In this video go to about 3:08 and you'll see what procedure I've been attempting .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3PRrOBLNoY

Comment

What the guy in the video fails to tell is that there is a notch in the track along the side of the receiver. The notch is beneath the rear sight. You have to work the slide out of that notch too.

Comment

As jak stated you must first disconnect the handle end from the receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
                          What the guy in the video fails to tell is that there is a notch in the track along the side of the receiver. The notch is beneath the rear sight. You have to work the slide out of that notch too.
                          Spot on , I found that rear notch and it does allow the rear of the slide to lift up and out which it does however the forward notch seems to bind up so the slide and bolt are still attached to the receiver. Going to keep fiddling with this stuck slide its either a feel thing that I don't have yet or there is a burr ob the receiver notch preventing the slide from disengaging .

Comment

With the handle disconnected slide the slide forward till the lugs on the slide line up with the cut out on the left side of barrel. Now twist the slide to the right. It should now disengage.

Comment

Thanks Jak and RDS, I did as you both posted it finally came off , seems I need to work my Carbine more to get the feel of disassembly along with building Carbine knowledge . Anyway the bolt and slide and trigger group are all fairly clean and lube and no obvious signs of what it would not fire, going to research disassembling the bolt and then a through clean and lube and hope I get go results at the range .

Comment

Working...
                              X