Bayonet Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayonet Help

I recently purchased a special grade m1 from the CMP. I was very excited and soon found myself browsing ebay looking for a bayonet to complete the look of the rifle. To my disappointment when i got the bayonet i found that it didn't fit. Any advice on how to make it fit would be appreciated.

pictured is as far as it goes on before it stops.

Since the rifle is a cmp special grade, it has been reparked. The gas cylinder could be heavily parked and also the bayonet lug, which could make lug too thick to accept the bayonet. Another thing could be a dent or burr inside the bayonet where it slides over the bayonet lug or on the bayonet lug itself.
    That happened to me. I had a burr inside the bayonet and had to run a file over the burr to smooth it down.
    Last edited by jak; 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

You might have to fit the latch hook a bit with a file. Where does it stop? I hade to adjust my M1905 to fit my M1.

Comment

• Jake Boyden
        Jake Boyden commented
        Editing a comment
        The bayonet stops when it goes past the front part of the lug that is slanted, so i'm guessing it is just a thick finish as stated above.

Is that a cut down bayonet?

Comment

• Jake Boyden
        Jake Boyden commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know if its cut down or not. i bought it described as an "m1 style bayonet" with scabbard for $65

If the blade is 16in long then it wasn't cut down during WW2. Here is a great reference site on US Bayonets.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm

Comment

• Jake Boyden
        Jake Boyden commented
        Editing a comment
        its 10 inches

Can you post photos of the bayonet in question. At a price of $65.00 it very well could be a repro made in India or China. A US GI WWII 16" bayonet and scabbard sell for several hundred dollars.

Comment

• Jake Boyden
        Jake Boyden commented
        Editing a comment
        the blade is 10 inches

Comment

Definitely a repo bayonet and scabbard. That is your problem.
        Last edited by jak; 01-03-2019, 08:59 PM.

Comment

For a few dollars more you could have purchase a US GI 10" bayonet. Can you send this one back for a refund?

Comment

Occasionally a little fitting is needed to make a bayonet fit. It's always easier to remove metal than to add it.

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
              Definitely a repo bayonet and scabbard. That is your problem.
              I'm with jak on this one. Sorry you didn't get the real deal. Unfortunately, education is expen$ive.
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X