M14s can't shoot worth a darn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M14s can't shoot worth a darn.

Try as I may I just can't seem to make these M14 rifles shoot very well. I know I can get better than an average of .5moa but it has been eluding my efforts. Went our this morning with a new load to experiment with and it seems to be getting closer to what I am looking for. MEN brass with TULA berdan primer over 42.9 gn of IMR-8208 pushing a Berger 150 gn fb target bullet. Rifle is a Bula Defense Systems Ultra Heavy .308 in a JAE chassis with a Night Force ATACR 5-25 56mm FFP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Practice 7 17 21 1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	30425 Click image for larger version

Name:	Practice 7 17 21.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	30426

Ha, send that M14 with the bent barrel to me...........................

Comment

How well do you group with it while holding it instead of using a bench?
      (Not a cheap shot, some folks can't even stay on the paper at 100 yards.)
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
        How well do you group with it while holding it instead of using a bench?
        (Not a cheap shot, some folks can't even stay on the paper at 100 yards.)
        Splain? 99% of my shooting is practical prone using bipod and mono pod as in real shooting. Never shot off a bench in my life. I do have a 3 legged home built shooting table I use sometimes. Haven't shot positions in years since I lost the use of my left arm. After 7 plus decades on this earth, I do what I can with what I have left.

Comment

Then you are a far better marksman than most. I thought you were benchrest shooting.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
            Then you are a far better marksman than most. I thought you were benchrest shooting.
            Guess I should have made it more clear. Never really considered bench shooting as the real thing personally. I like practical prone and the distance is that at which an actual adversary might need to be dispatched in my mind.

Comment

and I cant shoot prone anymore because of bad disks in my neck. I gotta shoot off bench, actually IMO there isnt a whole lot of difference between the two
              Its hell getin old

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                and I cant shoot prone anymore because of bad disks in my neck. I gotta shoot off bench, actually IMO there isnt a whole lot of difference between the two
                Its hell getin old
                I would rather be old and feel the pain than planted.

Comment

Amen brother

Comment

+1 I hear you guys, I have been in pain management for 18 years for broken disks, degenerative disk disease at multiple levels, bad facet joints throughout my neck, degenerative osteoarthritis, degenerative changes 20-30 years early, bad knees, wrists, chronic migraine and chronic tension headache, etc. and I'm "only" 50 this year in September. It's a rough life every day but I'd rather be here.
                    I shoot a mix of a little bench and off my pack prone like I was taught. I don't know what "practical prone" is honestly, maybe I do it a bit. I've been lucky to do it with some 2nd hand instruction from when I was young, never got any real instruction until a few years ago when I went to the sniper school which was awesome. I only get to shoot once or twice a month but manage usually .75ish to 1 moa from my black M1A. I know it can do better, my best is .19 moa but from a 3 shot group, I know that doesn't cut it with a lot of you guys but if it was good enough for Carlos Hathcock it is good enough for me for now at least, also I still haven't joined sniper's hide but have been reading it since 3 round groups were Ok there before it was official to go to 5 round groups then official to go to 10 round groups, also until the ammo shortage is completely over it will be 3 shot groups of match ammo and NO warning shots given from me. I have had the attitude that I'm just doing what I can with what I have also for a while. After a quick shoot of 30 - 50 rounds my neck is killing me for 2 days from the damage and get migraines sometimes but I still shoot and likely always will.
                    Art, you are kickin' ass. Awesome shooting. You give some of us a motivation to keep going, I appreciate your diligence and passion for shooting, reloading, and firearms. Thank you Sir!
                    m14brian

Comment

Thanks m14brian. Practical prone is my definition of shooting with bipod and monopod or bags from as low a position as one can acquire and shooting a minimum of the 10 dot and more. Shows the effectiveness of the entire system, equipment, ammo and shooter. With multiples of 10 or more being shot, effects of barrel heating and shooter stress are challenged. Now add a max of 10 seconds between shots and you have something. The 20 dot target in my earlier post was shot practical prone on a 5 minute timer. Adds something to the discipline when you include a mag change or two.

Comment

Yeah I think I'm going to try to get back on that 10 dot this fall after a little practice if I can find some more ammo, that's a challenge.
                        m14brian

Comment

Working...
                        X