Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another advantage of the M14 over the FAL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another advantage of the M14 over the FAL.

Having multiples of both in the herd I am always making comparisons. In addition to the accuracy, this is another advantage of the M14 over the FAL

+1, I store all of my soft tip 150gr "hunting" ammo in 10rd stripper clips ready to go.
    m14brian

Comment

The Canadian C1 (inch FAl) has a top cover with built in stripper clip guide. I had one of those covers and it worked well. An M1A in a E2 stock feels as good to hold as a FAL. I would like to see a slimmed down lighter weight wooden E2 type stock for the M1A.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018_0015.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	27057 Photos from FN manual on T.48 rifle as tested by US Ordnance, both the US manufactured High Standard and HRA T48 rifles also had this feature Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010013_0007.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	27056

Comment

What’s that loading device in the lower right hand pic.

Comment

It is called the horseshoe charger for the FAL rifle, there are variations produced for the amount of cartridges in the charger

Comment

Robert what are your feeling on the T-48 vs the T-44. Did the T-48 get a fair shake in testing. Would it had been easier to put the T48 into large scale production with out production problems the M14 had. Personally I like them both.

Comment

I did co-write an article for Gun Digest publications for their Guns Illustrated about the T-48 variations. My friend had found some T48 rifles that had been de-milled from a salvage yard and a study was made as there were both High Standard and H&R T48 rifles. Not all the H&R T48 rifles were selective fire (H&R marked their rifles T-48) All the Belgium T.48 rifles were returned. There was a special light weight High Standard T48 which had alot of "swiss cheese" cuts, it was s/n HS 13. Art Tuttle's son was drafted and when sent to basic training had the T48 rifle, they wanted to have new soldiers train with the T48.

The T48 was just as good as the T44 but they were never going to adopt it, they wanted the same configuration as the M1 rifle and US designed. Winchester did make a double barrel T48 chambered for the 22/7,62mm cartridge and in 1956, a dozen HRA T48 were rebarreled by Springfield Armory to 22/7,62mm and sent to Ft Benning for test. There are quite a few T48 rifles in storage at a USMC base in the east coast.

Comment

Robert I have the 1976 article you co-wrote on the T-48 in my FAL notebook. At 10 pages long it is an excellent informative article along with excellent photos.. I always felt the fix was in for the T-44 to be adopted. The T-44 sights were of a better design then those of the T-48. Other than the sights its hard to find fault with the T-48. On a side note for those that have spoken ill of H&R. It should be noted H&R successively produced the M1 Garand, T48, M14, M16A1 and BAR spare parts in the 1960s.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6611.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	784.7 KB
ID:	27150 Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3241.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	27152 Most of the T48 HRA magazines recovered from salvage were not damaged, even SARCO was selling them at one time for $200 ea. Never could figure out what magazine the High Standard T48 used ?

The Australian use of the FAL in Viet Nam was considered dependable and a special field modification to full auto and a short barrel was called the "Bitch" by troops few photos are around.

Photo shows a early 7,62mm cartridge for the New Zealand FAL

My old pre WW2 H&R Target revolver with CC! 22 Traget Shorts at 20 feet Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010026_0022_022.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.5 KB ID:	27148 Click image for larger version  Name:	p1010020_0014.jpg Views:	1 Size:	156.4 KB ID:	27149

Comment

I will give you the accuracy belongs to the M1A. But I have recently gotten two FALS and prefer them over the M1A ergonomically. Owning both I have compared them and I have formed my opinions from there. For long range accuracy I prefer a heavy barrel AR-10, I would not want to carry it far though.

Comment

The trigger on the M14 was better than the FAL, and until very recently the a fair percentage of the AR-10 type rifles in the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s were pretty jam prone, and parts were not easy to get like they are today, and there were 2 different patterns of AR-10 just like the FAL which is a pain because some parts don't interchange. I will give the AR-10 type rifles inherent great accuracy though especially with heavy barrels and they cost a fraction that an M14 to get that kind of accuracy, ask me how I know.
                        m14brian

Comment

Photo of a Portuguese AR-10 with aluminum butt stock for support for grenade launching. The Portuguese AR-10 was Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3508.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	28075 used for quite awhile in Africa

Comment

Working...
                          X