Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WWI take home Colt 1911 (I know wrong form but where is the right form?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI take home Colt 1911 (I know wrong form but where is the right form?)

My Grandfather was a WWI Lt in the Army Balloon Corps, his job was to go up in a gas balloon tethered to a truck or trailer and quickly survey for enemy targets , the survival rate in the balloon corps was not good I've been told as that balloon stuck out like a sitting duck and was an easy target and they were very close to the front lines in France , apparently WWI effected my Grandfather negatively the rest of his life as he became extremely claustrophobic due to sitting day after day in a trench while being under fire small arms and shelling, he did not function well in life after WWI but he did bring home his Army issue Colt 1911 , Anyway I still have the 1911 and successfully got it registered despite not having any paperwork , oddly enough my Grandfather did not take care of this gun it sat for 50 years in a garage tool box uncared for no oil and not ever being shot in civilian life , it was in bad shape when I got it some heavy rust and dis colored grips , very sad I don't know why he treated it like that , but that said it is and was confirmed by my Grandfather that he did indeed carry the 1911 during WWI and he brought it home as did more than a few other Servicemen of that era Here's some pics the holster is his WWI issue not sure on the web belt as we played with the belt as kids and it might be and might not be original. Would be cool to see and read ya'lls WWI, WWII and Korea take home stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	47592B06-9F6E-432D-A8D4-23F7916AECF5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	23204Click image for larger version  Name:	5C89B2B3-09FC-4726-809B-9B35DC1EBB32.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.72 MB ID:	23203 I’ll Click image for larger version  Name:	0299A68E-30CB-45EE-AD79-3D7905A253E2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	23200

Comment

Hard to see the pics are to dark , very nice piece to have to remember him by

Comment

Yeah I gotta work on picture skills , but if ya click on the pic and then click the next pic ya get a decent up close shot . Shot at least 2,000 rds thru the old war dog recently I bought a Colt Gold Cup the WWI unit has been reassigned to the safe

Comment

Working...
        X