• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early M14 op rod

Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3200.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	22947 Early M14 operating rod without hole in piston tip. Bottom photo, I understand only WRA and SA manufacture ? Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3198.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	22946

The bottom pic, 66118 is Winchester, SAK is Saco-Lowell, a late replacement parts contractor which parts are regarded as some of the best quality.
    m14brian

Comment

Were Springfield and Winchester the only manufacturers of the early piston without the hole in the center ?

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
        Were Springfield and Winchester the only manufacturers of the early piston without the hole in the center ?
        I believe HRA also produced early op rods without the drain hole. In fact, I believe that I just saw one for sale on another forum a day or two ago.
        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post

I believe HRA also produced early op rods without the drain hole.
          Yes this is true, I have 3 NOS early H & R op rods that have no hole.
          m14brian

Comment

Thanks for the information, while on the early M14 parts subject, i have a photo of a operating rod spring guide, was this the first type used on service M14 rifles ? Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	22976

Comment

I believe it was, I have many of the clear envelope type sealed pieces,

(4) H & R with 3/61 date
              (1) Olin Mathieson [Winchester] with 12/61 date
              (5) Olin Mathieson [Winchester] with 1/62 date
              (1) Olin Mathieson [Winchester] with 2/62

I also have some from a later contract in full sealed VCI paper that supports the theory:

(6) (w) [Westinghouse] with a 10/66 date, they are the kind with oblong holes machined in.

It is easy to feel through the wrappers of both kind. The earliest date I have in my collection is 3/61 and like I said they are visibly the long slotted variation. I don't recall seeing earlier parts but I'm sure someone has some. I have never seen any old SA pieces in the wrap. I hope this helps.
              m14brian

Comment

Thanks for the information

Comment

Thanks for the information
                  Yes Sir!
                  m14brian

Comment

Question, were the modern manufactured RWB M14 operating rods one piece like the TRW operating rods ?

Comment

Question, were the modern manufactured RWB M14 operating rods one piece like the TRW operating rods ?
                      I remember reading from a fairly reliable source, a knowledgeable long time builder on the m14 forum that they are indeed one piece forged.

They were Korean import and were really good quality, I almost bought one but I got sucked into the NOS USGI parts in early 2013. Haven't seen one or even heard about one for a while.
                      m14brian

Comment

SEI, LRB, and the now defunct 7.62mm firearms also made one piece forged op rods.
                        m14brian

Comment

Originally posted by m14brian View Post
                          SEI, LRB, and the now defunct 7.62mm firearms also made one piece forged op rods.
                          m14brian
                          How could you forget TRW?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil McGrath View Post

How could you forget TRW?
                            I didn't forget the original, I think RCS quoted them already as such.
                            m14brian

Comment

That was also a M1 rifle operating rod made in one piece too

Comment

Working...
                              X