short quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

short quiz

Identify this WW2 rifle: rifle fires full size military cartridge, is gas operated by trapping gas around the muzzle to unlock the action providing semi auto fire. Weight is 10.87 lb, overall length is 44.8 inches and barrel is 21.5 inches long

Here is the gas trap rifle answer to the above quiz. I had the chance to shoot a friends G41W some years ago, we used German early WW2 brass 7,92mm with some tracer too. This rifle was very accurate at 100 yards shooting three and five inch steel plates. I fired 60 rounds without any problems, the empty brass was black and dented. This type of action got really dirty fast. The magazine holds ten rounds that you have to load with M98 stripper clips. Sometimes you need two hands to get the second stripper clip into the magazine Click image for larger version

Name:	Automatgev%C3%A4r_m1941_Walther_-_Tyskland_-_AM.067370.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	22817

Comment

Robert
      Any idea how many G41W and G41M were produced? Did they see use on eastern front?

Comment

Rich, Tom in NJ who posts on this forum, had a Mauser G41M and shot it years ago. All matching G41M are worth as much as 15K now.

From what information available, the Germans found that the five round stripper clip was not that effective. During heated combat and bad weather conditions the shooter often only loaded one clip into the magazine as loading the second clip was sometimes difficult or just not done. This reduced the firepower of the G41 semi auto by 50%.

How many G.I.'s loaded four clips or even two clips though the M14 charger guide on the receiver ?

Comment

Working...
        X