Latest M1A Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest M1A Build

I had some parts laying around for awhile and decided I may as well put them to good use. Bought a Fulton receiver and sent it and the barrel to Tony Ben for him to twist on. I'm a garand guy, don't have wrench and vice for the M1A.
    I assembled the rest and finished her up today. Shes a mutt, mixture of parts, Sadlak spring guide, HR Op Rod, SA trigger group, SAK barrel, NOS TRW Bolt. Did some work to trigger, breaks just alittle over 4.5 lbs .

Comment

Super nice rifle, Bill. Those Fulton receivers are rock solid. I love that it’s a “mutt.” I bet that’s a real solid shooter for sure.
      Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Great looking rifle! Fulton Armory makes really nice receivers, the machining and finish is beautiful, I have heard from a builder that they are very good in spec as well.
        m14brian

Comment

I have built two on Fultons and they never gave me any trouble

Comment

Very nice Bill!!

Comment

Thank you sir

Comment

I cannot help but notice the similarity to the M14...

Is the "difference" strictly in the caliber (7.62 v. 308)? Detachable magazine? Vent rib?

I bought an M1A for my youngest son. It is TRULY a Battle Rifle. Rereading his manual, it is noted that both M1A and M14 are used throughout, but I didn't study it closely enough to tell the distinct differences. I know the cartridges of 7.62x51 and 308 Winchester are different in pressure, chamber, head space, and case thickness - to a slight degree.
                Last edited by land_owner; 12-18-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

After the M14 contract was cancelled, TRW built a few M14 rifles in 5,56mm using the M16 magazine thinking they might be able to salvage something.

Comment

Originally posted by land_owner View Post
                    I cannot help but notice the similarity to the M14...

Is the "difference" strictly in the caliber (7.62 v. 308)? Detachable magazine? Vent rib?

I bought an M1A for my youngest son. It is TRULY a Battle Rifle. Rereading his manual, it is noted that both M1A and M14 are used throughout, but I didn't study it closely enough to tell the distinct differences. I know the cartridges of 7.62x51 and 308 Winchester are different in pressure, chamber, head space, and case thickness - to a slight degree.
                    The biggest historical difference is, the M1A is the most popular and numerous in production semi automatic copy of the military's full automatic M14. Back in the early '70s when the first people were first building and selling it, it is reported that the BATF didn't like the use of the designation M14 for a civilian semi automatic version on the heelstamp. So Springfield Armory INC went with M1A because it resembled M14 in print. In the '80s Federal Ordnance and Armscorp were permitted to use M14A and such, much more recently, manufacturers like Fulton Armory, Bula, and others were permited to just use M14 as well as M21, M25, T44e, and other real former military designations.

Basically the M1A is just the most popular semi automatice version of the M14 like I said. It is dimensionally very close in many instances, and real USGI M14 parts can be used on them for the most part.

I hope that answers your question.
                    m14brian

Comment

Very nice looking rifle. It has a lot of character

Comment

Working...
                      X