Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oow bar

A few pics of my OOW M1918 BAR SLR

Very, very cool! I love John Browning's designs. Is this a shooter, or more of a display piece?
    Last edited by Fairbanks007; 01-30-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

semi-auto shooter !

Comment

I wanted one since I watched my first episode of "Combat" as a kid in the 1960s, remember Kirby. Purchased mine over 20yrs ago. Its a 3 digit serial number made with GI parts. Great rifles.

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          mine is only semi-auto, but i'm really happy with it ! it's built with all new parts now.
          Last edited by mikeurbas; 01-31-2019, 12:02 PM.

I would really like one but $$$$$$ these days!
        m14brian

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          they've pretty much doubled in price from when they first came out !

carrying handle was not really used in WW2, became standard by Korea

Winter triggers are around, there are a few variations

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          i currently don't have the carry handle or bi-pod on it. plus i swapped out the bakelite stock for walnut. i just like the wood look better.

Rifles doubled in price, spare parts, mags and accessories tripled in price.

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          you can still get used mags from oow for 20.00

• RDS
          RDS commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to pay about $5.00 for used BAR mags in the old days.

Yeah...

Let me take a stab at my dream rifle collection that I don't have, to buy it today-

B.A.R. - any variation in mint condition - ~$6,000+?
        1941 Johnson - mint - ~$7,000+?
        M1 Garand unissued - ~$4,000+?
        1903 Springfield mint any variation - ~$1,000?
        1917 Enfield mint any except Eddystone - ~$1,500?
        M1 Carbine any year any configuration mint ~$2,000?

That's a lot of money. It's my own fault because I had a couple of them back then and didn't buy the rest back in the '90s but it still hurts. Probably won't be able to pull it off without some windfall.

How close am I?

m14brian

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          i think a full auto bar is gonna cost a bit more than 6000.00. the oow ones go for about 4300.00 new.

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          so far i have a mint april '44 m1 carbine, a cmp special grade m1 garand, and the oow bar, along with my gsg mp40 pistol in 9mm, which is a blast to shoot !!;p

Here are some photos of the super rare Model 1918A1 bipod issued in 1937 and in used during WW2 until the Model 1918A2 became standard

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for the pcs !

You know back in the 1920's US Ordnance developed a 30 rd and 40 rd magazine for the BAR for anti-aircraft, most if not all were dumped during the early 1930's, but someone now manufactures a 30rd magazine for the BAR and also a unipod out of aluminum. Find Jim Ballou's books on the BAR, I use to exchange emails with him until he died a few years ago.

Comment

• mikeurbas
          mikeurbas commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohio ordnance works has a 30 rounder, buts its pricey ! I i have a copy of a rock and a hard place. Great book on the bar !!

Below is a list of some of the BAR manuals I have in my collection
        AUTOMATIC RIFLE (BROWNING) MODEL OF 1918 REVISED MARCH 1921
        TR 320-25 WEAPONS AUTOMATIC RIFLE (BROWNING) MODEL OF 1918 MARCH 25 1925
        FM 23-15 AUGUST 27, 1940
        FM 23-15 JULY 10, 1942
        FM 23-15 JUNE 30, 1943
        FM 23-15 JUNE 30, 1943 1947 EDITION
        FM 23-15 JULY 1951
        FM 23-15 MAY 1961
        TM 9-1005-208-12 AUGUST 1969
        TM 9-1005-208-35 MARCH 1970

Comment

I have a Oct 1, 1940 FM 23-20 Browning Automatic Rifle, Caliber .30, 1918 Without Bipod.

Also have a Seymour case colored BAR magazine follower, Jim Ballou told me this was done to improve the magazine but just became a spare part

Comment

I found a better photo of the Seymour case colored follower plus some photos of the WW1 belt with the metal cup to support the butt while wlking and firing the BAR

Comment

Robert
              Thank you for posting. I never knew of FM 23-20 or the color case followers.

Comment

I like BAR’s. When I was in the service we found a couple Vietnam era BAR’s still boxed with all their BII. A friend sold one a few years ago that came out of the WRA reference collection. It was full auto. Not sure what he sold it for but I know it was above $25k. As an aside I have all the test papers and notes from an Ord Sgt who worked at WRA during WWI and inspected BARs.

Comment

Working...
                X