Early Colt SP1 Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCS View Post
    the first 30 round magazines only had a slight curve and started to appear around 1969. This magazine was still in the original envelope and is sterile, these fit both AR-15 and AR-18/180 rifles
    That mag, while it may fit the AR15/M16 is not one of the original "full curve" M16 mags. It IS an AR180 mag. The original "full curve" M16 mags have the hump and square hole for the mag release lever just like every other M16 mag.. Original "full curve" mags are extremely hard to find and quite expensive IF you find one unless the seller doesn't know what he has.Soon as I can figger posting pics I'll add some.

Comment

Original full curves on either side of the regular 30 rd for comparison.

Comment

RCS, if your really deep into collecting Mags, you should know that there are a couple of variations of the M16 waffle mags. Not in the body, but followers and floor plates. I can post pics if interested.

Comment

I am familiar with the variations of the waffle magazines (also have seen the four magazine pouch which folds over) These variations are most desirable and very difficult to find. The AR-180 thirty round magazine is without any markings. The early M16 thirty round magazines are all but impossible to locate. Remember the so called M16/AK47 magazine photos - that was a full curve magazine,
          think it was called the "franken" . Tom in NJ found a nice photo for me years ago.

My three digit SP1 is still unfired since leaving the factory in 1964 (not 1965 which was my error) My 25xx was purchased new in the box but was fired and have a 52K SP1 which mounts my CAR 15 stock. I should invest in a nice early repro lower.

Did you note the price of the "used" Colt SP1 serial number 156 from the last Rock Island auction of May 1st ? it sold for $10500.00

Comment

Here is a photo of some waffles in the Air Force pouch, there is also a four magazine pouch which folds over

Tom in NJ has photos of the magazine pouch being used in Viet Nam

Comment

There are also 3 variations of those Air Force mag pouches. Plain canvas, a rubber (??) impregnated one and last a rubber coated one as well. Pics up when I dig them out.
              If you have one, I'd love to see a pic of the "fold over" type. Not sure I've ever seen one.
              I had seen the auction, but never went back to see the close price. $10,5k ,,, wow.
              The best and most correct "retro" lowers are the NDS made ones.
              Last edited by m1sniper; 05-07-2016, 12:17 AM.

Comment

All,
                I'm posting the attached photos for RCS.
                Photos courtesy of "Tom in NJ" and are not for reuse without expressed permission from him directly.
                Thanks,
                ---Brian
                Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

• RCS
                  RCS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The photo on the right shows Air Force 30 round magazine pouches from the Viet Nam period

Here are the 3 versions of the Airforce pouches:
                Left does not feel or look like it has any kind of waterproofing
                Middle has "something" impregnated into the canvas
                Right has a very heavy coating applied to the surface
                Last edited by m1sniper; 05-07-2016, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Here are some period "field expedient" hi caps:

Comment

Some are lower sections of AK 47 mags married to the top section of M16 mags, some are sections of M16 mags cut and married to each other.

Comment

I have NO idea what these guys used as springs for these mags but can tell you an AK mag spring will not fit into an M16 mag.. Not sure I would want to trust my life using these mags, but who knows,, maybe they worked just fine....????

Comment

Best way to put a 5,56 into a AK47 magazine is from the floor plate and out the side (photos) this magazine came from Viet Nam in 1967. As the photo shows a small caliber (less than 30) entered the floor plate and made an exit through the side, locking the follower in the bottom. The loaded cartridges were dumped out. I have the vest too.

Note it is a Chinese magazine which was better to use for a franken magazine as it is without the back rib
                        Last edited by RCS; 05-07-2016, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X