Newbie question about national match shooting with AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie question about national match shooting with AR

So national match shooting is something totally new to me. Id like to get started and use my Garand as well as my M1a and also build an AR. I see they now allow an optic for the AR? Is this a separate division or something? I have no interest in using an optic and would like to compete against other iron sight users. What are my options?

It's not a separate class. They had to make the change because they need new blood in the sport and most new shooters don't have the foggiest idea how to use irons or are just too damn lazy to learn how to use them. You'll shoot irons with the glassed. It's an unfair advantage but they did what they had to do to get new shooters and most of them shoot "evil" black rifles. The M1 is too complex for most of them. Probably too heavy for most of them too.
    When you build yours, go with the 20" barrel. It'll give you the added velocity and sight radius you'll need for the 600 yard stages. Get a barrel with a 1:8 twist. It covers the largest range of bullet weights. 1:7 would be second choice.
    When I shoot in the local matches I'm usually the lone M1 on the line. I know I'm not gonna' win, place, or show. I only compete against mineself and try to do better than the last time. Some times I'm lucky. The secret is win, lose or draw, have a good time. Just being on the line and going thru the motions usually scratches my itch.
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 09-10-2021, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Learn to use the sling to help support the rifle and mainly, steady your aim. I generally shoot best with the Garand and also an M1A, which I haven't had for some 10 years.
      With your "politically condemned" upper build, use a rigid, free-floating fore end so the sling doesn't affect the barrel. A thicker barrel will help accuracy with reduction in point of impact shift due to heating from sustained firing.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
      X