• Time
  • Show
Clear All

another center fire rifle converted to 22 rim fire

Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1186.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	22520 Many years ago, my father bought a Remington black powder rolling block rifle (43 Spanish cal) that came from South America. It came from Hunter's Lodge and was in NRA poor condition, he kept it in his basement which did not improve the condition. I decided to make some improvements, the wood was gone and the metal was rusted with pits.

I cut the off the barrel at ten inches and bored it out to half inch. I took a 3/4 inch 22 RF blank and turned the last ten inches to half inch O.D.and glued it in the original barrel, also made a harden bushing to fit the breech end. Converted the breech to rim fire, made a new extractor, reshaped the hammer and milled off the half dovetails on the receiver front and back. The rolling blocks have really hard trigger pulls so I made a new trigger with a sear for a nice trigger pull, also bent the lower tang for a pistol grip. I sent the receiver to a man in South Dak for case hardening and had the barrel blued and made the scope blocks.. The stock and fore-end were made from a blank of California walnut, much of the inletting was done with a mill. I mounted a Lyman 4x scope which worked out well for shooting Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010040_0036_036.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	22517Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010043_0039_039.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	22518Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010044_0040_040.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	22519

Nice looking rig. From one machinist to another--great job. How 'bout a full view shot of the finished product?
    Jon

Comment

Here are some additional photos with a tung oil finish. I used a Remington steel checkered Model 513 butt plate, there are no iron sights Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010037_0033.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	22614Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010038_0034.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	22615

Comment

Absolutely stellar job!! That's a gorgeous rifle!!
        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

The original condition of this Remington would not even have made a good floor lamp ! The California walnut blank came from a contractor who was doing restoration work on a old hotel. This rifle could be converted back to center fire without much work, but a something low pressure

Comment

Working...
          X