Colt factory five round conversion to magazine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colt factory five round conversion to magazine

When the Colt SP1 Sporter came on the market for civilian sale the Colt Factory also converted the magazine to hold only five rounds. These ealy factory conversions are difficult to find now and a collectors item Click image for larger version

Name:	34pky28.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	19655

Great info! I was not aware of this and had bought a 20 round mag at a flea market in Michigan a few years ago to find it would only hold 5 rounds. Upon disassembling I found the restricting item and removed it. I had assumed it was a personal mod someone had made. Glad I held on to it!

Comment

Robert
      Thank you for posting. I see the floor plate is marked .223. Can you please post a photo of the floor plate. I understand there are several versions of the .223 marked floor plate.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2558h8g.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	19731 From examples that I have seen, the early three and four digit Colt SP1 Sporters have the small CAL..223 stamp on the magazine floor place. Will post magazine sequence

Comment

Name:	2zp4bax.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	19733 Here is another photo showing the different size 223

Comment

Viet Nam period "safe conduct pass" magazine bag Click image for larger version

Name:	2ue1udg.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	19800

Comment

I have two I bought years ago but I modified both to accept 10 rounds. Goes to show you that you never know what will eventually become collector items. The fact is neither as 5 or 10 rounders have they ever fed worth a damn.

Poorly designed follower that appears to hang up occasionally.
              Last edited by lapriester; 05-15-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• RDS
                RDS commented
                Editing a comment
                Did they have the later black plastic follower or the earlier aluminum Vietnam era follower?

I have tested these two waffle magazines years ago in a Colt SP1 semi auto (four digit) Sporter still with the original Edgewater buffer. No problems with a full twenty rounds in the magazine and semi auto shooting. Everything changed after that - Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010027_0023_023.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	19858

Comment

Robert
                Thank you for posting. Great photos. I need to check my mags for size of .223 stamping. Question on your canvas 2 mag pouch. I have one like it and one like it but made from a rubberized material. Are they early Air Force issue? What is the history on them?

Comment

• RCS
                  RCS commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Original Air Force issue (also a four pack too) but also used by some other special units. Also different variations in material have been found

Originally posted by RDS View Post
                Did they have the later black plastic follower or the earlier aluminum Vietnam era follower?
                They are plastic.

Comment

Name:	zwmj9y.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	19868 Also something you do not find often is the AR-15 in 222 Remington caliber. Original thought (I believe) was for export to countries where the 223/5,56mm was not allowed (Mexico & France ?)

But also used and sold to Police Departments in the USA, while not worth a lot these 222 Rem AR-15s are not common. The 222 Rem is very accurate as I had a Rem 40X BR in this caliber

Photos came from the internet, the 222 Rem magazines are hard to find

Comment

Is there a time frame for the use of the 5.56 versus .223 markings?

Comment

the 5,56mm marking on the magazine floorplate appears during 1969

Comment

Appreciate the info and your sharing your knowledge and collection.

Comment

Found this on an auction, not common to find the AR-15 with this markings but not really worth a lot either Click image for larger version

Name:	b4jj2e.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	19912

Comment

Working...
                          X