• Show
Clear All

• lapriester
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2295.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	19489 You'll see almost no accuracy, and very little velocity difference between 18 and 20 inch barrels. Added bonus is less weight. Both of mine are 18". I killed a very mature Cow Elk in NM last year with my 308 and 165g bullets. 100 yard shot and she dropped like a rock. I had the rifle sighted in at 300 yards with 3.5 inch groups at that range. 1-1.5 MOA at 100. You'd be surprised at how cumbersome a 20" barrel becomes especially with the added length of a muzzle device if you get a threaded barrel. My 308 is long enough.
    Last edited by lapriester; 04-27-2019, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    S&W makes one with an 18 inch barrel that weighs 8.5 pounds, but sights need to be added. Would really prefer a 20 inch barrel, so the Garand is starting to look more reasonable. I live in a area with thick brush, and use the standard M1. Prefer the extra barrel length for better ballistics, reduced recoil and muzzle blast. I will look at DPMS and ARP. thanks for the recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    There are what are called Generation 2 AR10's by DPMS that are almost down to heavy AR15 weights. But, they are very expensive. I think a Co. called ARP also makes a similar version. Also very expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Well, I'm just under 6 feet and 200 pounds, in decent shape for an old fart of 67. I do carry and use a Garand out in the woods on my property, just surprised the more modern rifles are heavier. In that case, I might consider a 308 Garand.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    I have 2 AR10 type rifles. A 308 snd a 260 Remington. Just remember that AR10's are very heavy, generally 12-14#. Not something you'd want to carry out on a wilderness hunt or spot and stalk where you have to hike any long distances unless you are a very big guy in good shape.

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    Nice. Once I move out of this state of repression I'm considering getting one of the 308 AR type rifles. I guess living where moose, bear, puma and now Russian Wild Boar (from further north) are real problems; I like the extra power.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    And now the 224 Valkyrie. Got my gas tubes in the mail. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190411_235210.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	19309

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    Newest addition. A wildcat 6mm Mongoose built with a BCA side charge upper and Mad Dog Weapons Systems 6mm Mongoose 18" 6 groove 1-10 twist barrel.

The Mongoose is essentially a 6x45 with a shorter angled shoulder and more powder capacity. Parent case 5.56 necked out to 6mm.

Next up, a 224 Valkyrie I have mostly put together but forgot to order a mid gas gas tube for. Duh.
    Last edited by lapriester; 04-11-2019, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    commented on 's reply
    I very much doubt it. I like calibers that will shoot longer ranges on little targets or those that meet my type of big game hunting. I suppose I might if I planned hog hunting or even closer range bear. But, just not my ball game. I shot one once. Interesting.

I also like calibers that I can form the brass from what I have on hand. Example: 224 Valkyrie, 27GPC, 6.5x6.8 and several others can all be formed with 6.8 SPC brass. 277 Wolverine, 300 BO, 6mm Mongoose all are made with 223/5.56 brass.
    Last edited by lapriester; 03-17-2019, 01:48 PM.

• m14brian
    replied
    Are you gonna do a big one like a .458 Socom?
    m14brian

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    Now lets add 6mm Mongoose and 224 Valkyrie to the list. 22LR, 223/5.56, 204 Ruger, 6.8GPC, 6.5x6.8, 277 Wolverine, 6.5 Grendel, 300 BO, 224 Valkyrie, 6mm Mongoose, 308 Winchester, 260 Remington, 7mm-08. I have subtracted my 6.8SPC rifles since I sold one in favor of the 6.8GPC(now called 27GPC) and had my lightweight 6.8SPC brush gun reamed to GPC.
    Last edited by lapriester; 03-16-2019, 04:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    Originally posted by BMS View Post
    Great photo, Larry!!
    Congrats on the harvest. Any other hunting successes this year so far?
    Working on that, LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Jersey Devil
    replied
    Great photo, Larry!!
    Congrats on the harvest. Any other hunting successes this year so far?

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3879.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	16718 6.8 GPC wildcat strikes. 8:20 this morning. Best buck ever for me.

Leave a comment:

• lapriester
    replied
    Originally posted by m14brian View Post
    That's an incredible group. That's about what I can get from my FN sniper rifle. Outstanding!
    m14brian
    The best part is that it was repeatable. That accuracy was off a cheap folding table, bipod and a rolled up towel for a rear rest. It also makes me wonder how it could possibly improve if I used bullets most anyone would consider more accurate than the blem Pro Hunters with slightly deformed lead tips I was using for this in the 6.8. I did weigh the bullets for uniform weight but pretty much ignored the lead tip flaws...except the gross ones of course.
    Last edited by lapriester; 08-22-2018, 01:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X