Howdy from Wisconsin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy from Wisconsin!

I just bought a Garand from a neighbor lady That belonged to her father. He passed 40 years ago and she used it for deer hunting. She has offered to trade it for a deer rifle but settled for cash instead. It is a SA #853667. The barrel is marked S-A-7-42. Looks original to me. She said her father had it since the forties. There are no marks on the stock but it looks like it’s been on there a long time. Is there anything special I should look for? Thanks much.

Welcome in from SoCal!
    m14brian

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. It would be helpful if can remove the rifle from the stock and post some pictures of it.
        Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Here are a few pictures.

Comment

Jed the tip of your safety is broken off. It should be replaced as it now does not lock the hammer back.

Comment

Thanks for the catch. It’s probably been like that a long time. I read somewhere that soldiers would purposely break them so they were quieter.

Comment

I believe that is a myth started by a company trying to sell a large lot of broken safeties. The part of the safety that is broken off physically engages the hammer and locks it back. If the rifle is dropped or hit hard it prevents the hammer from flying forward. The same safety is used on the M14/M1A and BM59. The Ruger Mini 14/30 safety is very similar. One of the best designed military safeties.
                Last edited by RDS; 03-22-2021, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I’ll find a safety but keep the old one for originality sake.

Comment

If you need a safety check with Orlando he may have one.

Comment

A few more pictures.

Comment

Working...
                      X