Greetings from the Netherlands!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from the Netherlands!

I am an American, now living in the Netherlands since 2001- grew up with firearms (strictly for hunting or target) and learned gun safety at a very young age.

I was a firearms instructor while teaching in the US in the early 80's. I have always been interested in WWI and WWII firearms and history- living so close to where much of the fighting took place is fascinating! Seeing the Point du Hoc cliffs and the Belgian Ardennes surrounding Bastogne... talking to the people who live there... one of my main interests now is keeping history alive for the next generation.....

Hope to get to know some of you... am now outfitting my hobby room to house a firearms collection- am hoping to find a classic M1 Garand....

Greetings !!!! Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome in and good luck on your search Sir!
      m14brian

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thank you!!
          Garands show up here once in a while, but they are certainly not common...

Comment

Welcome from the once great Golden State.
            Jon

Comment

Thank you!! California is no longer great?? To borrow a line from Doc Holliday in "Tombstone" - "I beg to differ with you sir.."

Comment

Well, California is terrible for gun owners, unfortunately that's a fact. I have lived in this place off and on since after I was born in the early '70s, and can tell everyone it went to hell after the Roberti-Roos "assault weapon" ban in late 1989 and has just gotten exponentially worse since regarding restrictive gun laws.
                m14brian

Comment

We used to be able to buy ammo with no "permit", used to be able to order ammo straight to our house, buy as many guns as we wanted at a time, buy as many 30 rd mags at the gun store as we wanted, buy "assault weapons" which included many wood stocked rifles like M14 types, sell and buy privately, buy pistols that are not on some contrived "roster", I could go on and on...

But that's neither her nor there, enjoy your time on the forum, Sir! Share pics of your rifle and post up and ask questions, there are many very knowledgeable guys on here.
                  m14brian

Comment

Well, in terms of gun ownership, I can understand the name "once great Golden State" but the landscapes, beaches, culture and redwood forests are truly unique. Top entry on my bucket list is to see the Big Trees; I've ony seen photos thus far.

Will be taking more photo's of my newest acquisitions tomorrow Tuesday- I'll post of course. Am very interested in your opinions........
                    Cheers,
                    R Shaw

Comment

Yes Sir, if you are talking about the Sequoia National Park you owe it to yourself to go. I went for a week there and King's Canyon/King's River when I was younger, we stayed in a cabin and hiked every day, it was a great experience.
                      m14brian

Comment

Working...
                      X