Hey from Ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey from Ca

Goal this year to finally obtain an M1. I used one in High School in the California Cadet Corp. Have never forgotten it. I made the waiting list for CMP advanced maintenance class this year. Crossing my fingers. Waiting on my 03 now. I'm in the Fresno area.

Welcome to the forum. Have fun if you finally get picked for the class. If you want a garand sooner, you can order one from cmp now and get it in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Welcome in from 29 Palms!
        I was also in the California Cadet Corps '83-'86, Sergeant First Class. We had 1903 Springfields for drill and Ceremony but the M1 Was my Commandant's favorite rifle.
        m14brian

Comment

To show you how much things have changed we even had a .22 rifle team and a rifle range on the school grounds.

Comment

That's cool, we also had a .22 rifle team but they went to the local range. Our Commandant used to bring real guns in a couple times a year to teach proper handling and safety, and obviously the 1903s were in a rack in the classroom.
            m14brian

Comment

Welcome aboard from NJ!
              Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Well , I finally got tired of waiting on the 03 FFL and a nice H&R came up. All H&R even the stock except for the trigger group. Serial number says 1954 which make it 1 year younger than me. Came with the CMP case and paperwork. Going to shoot it tomorrow. Handloading today.

Comment

Range report when done, Sir!
                  m14brian

Comment

Range report. I used a standard recipe from Lymans 49th. Two rounds to sight in at 25, two clicks down at 100 and the rest like I was using a scope. The gun was just a joy to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by jbolen View Post
                      To show you how much things have changed we even had a .22 rifle team and a rifle range on the school grounds.

In the heart of Chicago at least as late as 1967 when I left, South Shore High School still had an active 50-foot rifle range in the basement where our ROTC classes were held. We had a half-dozen Winchester 75s in the ROTC arsenal that we shot .22 long rifle standard velocity rounds from whenever it was shooting time during the school day. You could hear little pops upstairs in the first floor corridor.

In addition to 40 M-1 rifles that we learned disassembly on, and drilled with, there were two Browning BARs to play with in our school's basement vault.

Our training sergeant (he was a regular army staff sergeant assigned to teach ROTC at our school) knew that I was a gun nut so he let me come down in my free time during the school day and play with the M-1s and the BARs alone in the vault for hours. Now, I realize what a favor, what a stretch that was for him to give me such freedom. Thank you, sarge.
                      Last edited by milgunsguy; 11-29-2019, 06:49 PM.

Comment

1967 what a different time. Height of cold war and 5 yrs after Cuban Missile Crisis. High School ROTC, Civil Defense, and the draft. I miss the 60s.

Comment

Working...
                        X