Joining from Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joining from Florida

Hello All, I have been looking through some M1 Garand forums over the past couple of weeks to try and learn as much as I can, but I am definitely a novice when it comes to rifles. I just bought an M1 Garand this week and figured I would join and share on this forum. I bought it from a buddy who has been holding on to it for about 4 years and decided to let it go. I didn't ask where or who he got it from but he did say the bolt and rear sights, and possibly the trigger housing group (not sure), are the only things replaced on it. I decided rather than going to someone to appraise it, I would share it here. From checking serial numbers , the barrel date aligns with the receiver. There is also multiple stamps on the stock. There is an "A A" stamp with the Eagle and stars, along with another stamp of what looks like "A A E". I assume the two Augusta Armory stamps are from when the bolt and rear sights were replaced, (again I am new to this arena so really don't know). Photos are attached. To add, the stock is a darker color wood. Haven't tested the barrel condition but a 30-06 FMJ won't fit all the way in the muzzle. Bore looks good to the eye when looking through the barrel with a flashlight.

Let me know what you all think. I look forward to exploring this forum and seeing what everyone has to say.

Thanks a lot!
    D

Here are the rest of the photos.

Comment

Hello and welcome to our forum!
      Thanks for taking the time to look around the site and decide this is where you'd like to post up your photos.
      Your receiver appears to date to early October 1944, and the barrel dates to August of 1944. The barrel may very well be original to the receiver, as it's quite common to have barrels with earlier dates than their associated receivers. They can also be a few months later.....about three months or so seems to be the accepted range in either direction.
      At any rate, the trigger group housing is actually correct for your rifle, but without seeing the small parts inside the group it's hard to say what else is correct.....save for the guard, which appears to be forged and would likely be stamped by that date.
      The op rod and bolt are both post-war parts, and were likely replaced during a rebuild at one of the depots.
      Others far more knowledgeable than I will hopefully chime in and correct anything that I'm wrong on above and likely set you up with real solid info.
      Meanwhile......let's see more pix!! We love pix!!
      Cheers from NJ,
      ----Brian
      Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Thanks Brian. Let me know what other pics would be useful to see and I will strip it down and take them. I shot it over the weekend before I bought it (felt great), but haven't been able to get to a long distance range. From what you see, what do you think is a fair price for this?

Comment

Originally posted by DO1627 View Post
          Thanks Brian. Let me know what other pics would be useful to see and I will strip it down and take them. I shot it over the weekend before I bought it (felt great), but haven't been able to get to a long distance range. From what you see, what do you think is a fair price for this?
          Some other photos that would be useful would be the opposite side of the trigger group than what you've already posted, a look into the chamber area of the rifle, a photo of the underside of the receiver, a shot of the gas cylinder, and perhaps photos of both sides of the receiver. A part of interest is your follower arm, which appears to be a "flat back" arm. A close up of that would be neat, too.

As to a value, hard to give specifics without ME and TE measurements and the like. I typically refrain from giving a value more often because I'm not really an authority on these things. I'm more of a builder / fiddler, but I have sold my fair share of parts.
          Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

No worries. Appreciate it. Here are some more photos. Love the info!!!!

Thanks.

Comment

Two more from the list you rang off. Thanks

Comment

Welcome to the forum from Illinois!

Comment

Welcome from SoCal from the other Brian lol!
                  m14brian

Comment

Working...
                  X