Surface corrosion on barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surface corrosion on barrel

Hello, newly bought M1 Garand rifle. While I was taking it apart to clean it I ran into some surface corrosion on the upper part of the barrel under the removable piece of the stock. Is this something I need to worry about and replace the barrel or just get the corrosion stopped?

I've often found corrosion in this area. It traps and holds moisture causing rust unless it's coated with grease at assembly. Use a good rust and corrosion remover, being sure to get it out of the pits. Oxpho Blue does a decent job of protecting otherwise bare metal. The barrel is probably OK to use assuming the inside is good. Get some grease and put a thin film on EVERY metal surface on every part as you reassemble your rifle. Also be sure to grease these areas (along with everything else) for proper function:
    A Tutorial on how to apply grease to your M1 Garand Rifle. Grease is critical for proper function of the rifle and we'll walk you through the process.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• 1985Oldvet
      1985Oldvet commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Smokey for the reply. Yeah, I ran a borescope down in that area and it actually looked good. I agree, I'll clean it up really good and apply Oxpho Blue. As I'm reassembling I'll put a light coat of grease on the affected area before installing the hand guard.

I would be more concerned with the rot on the front of the receiver.

Danny

Comment

Temperature/humidity changes will leave condensation in multiple places inside the stock and other places that will trap and hold moisture. Grease stays put for years and will provide a protective film with the Parkerizing (which doesn't protect very well from corrosion by itself) to hold it in place. That's why I advocate coating every surface inside the stock with a film of grease. Unless you live in a dry, high dust environment, you will have no problems with dust and crud buildup. I live in the east, where extremes of humidity and temperature will leave the interior wet for days. The grease film was clean and still in place with rifles I disassembled decades later and NO rust.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
      X