Old M1, New Stock--CMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old M1, New Stock--CMP

Received my CMP "Expert" M-1 last week and shot it this weekend. How incredibly fun!!! My question is: the stock is new on these Garands and appears NOT to have any type of polyurethane sealer on them. Just the stain on the walnut stock. Do I need to do anything to the stock to preserve/treat/protect it?
    Thanks!

USGI stocks were dipped in boiled linseed oil....that's all. If you want to use boiled linseed oil put a thin coat on the stock and hand guards, inside and outside. Let it soak in for a hour and then wipe off the excess. Let it dry for 24 hours, then repeat the process for 2 more days.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Thanks Jak

Comment

One more question--would using the boiled linseed oil process--- would it swell the handguard to fit tighter?

Comment

I never had that problem with swelling. I go over my rifles at least once a year. I will put a little dab of linseed oil on a rag and wipe down the stock and hand guards.
          Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by Wenatchee Kid View Post
            One more question--would using the boiled linseed oil process--- would it swell the handguard to fit tighter?
            BLO will not "swell" the wood. If you are worried about the front handguard it is supposed to have slight movement

Comment

I also recently received my CMP M1 with new, stained stocks, upon unboxing I took it apart inspected, cleaned and oiled it. My question is after oiling the weapon some of the oil got on the wood stock and hand guards. Do I need to refinish the new wood or can I just apply the linseed oil over them?

Comment

The Garand must be greased for lubrication, go here for where to grease it:
                Greasing the M1 Garand - GarandGear
                Any good automotive chassis grease will do a fine job.
                The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Gunny paste is good sealer also.

Comment

Got my 308 Expert 3 weeks ago. Ordered up some Milk Paint tung oil from Amazon because my walnut CMP stock appears very dry. Plan on lightly sanding it this weekend and then start applying the tung oil. Looking for a smooth dull finish.
                    Shoot safe...
                    Mike

Comment

• silveragemarvel
                      silveragemarvel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, I have the same rifle. I am doing exactly what you described. I removed all the metal from wood, did a light sand and am waiting for first coat of Tung oil to dry. There was one spot on the main stock that I had to sand down more so the stain was removed. I luckily had some matching walnut stain and applied to all the wood. Wood now looks uniform all over. I plan to add 2 more coats of Tung oil. BTW, I thinned with mineral spirits 1 to 1.

I've had good results with tung oil myself. I rub it on and let it absorb for a while then wipe it off, completely removing all excess. After a couple of days of drying, I go over the wood lightly with 0000 steel wool then repeat the application process. I continue until the wood stops absorbing.

Comment

Garand-Gear has tung oil and raw linseed finishing kits with easy to follow instruction.

Comment

Working...
                      X