Splatters on park finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splatters on park finish

Just received a service grade Garand from CMP and noted the splatter marks on the receiver & rear sight (see pics). Went through it today, hoping that a surface lube/cleaner like CLP, Hoppes, etc., would clean it up but nothing had any effect on it. Close inspection revealed that the finish itself was penetrated by whatever got on this gun. It left tiny ripples in the finish, so it's pretty obvious that the park finish couldn't stand up to it. Have no idea what it is, but it looks like someone tried to wipe it off on the sides.

The rifle is otherwise fine and has a new CMP stock, so the splatter marks stand out in contrast to the nice Walnut. It looks like prep & refinishing is the solution. If so, note the heel stamp pic. The SA stamp lines are very shallow, which makes me hesitant to do any rubbing on the surface. So two questions:

Anyone seen anything like this before? If I re-parkerize will the heel stamp disappear even more? Might even consider a black nitride finish if I can prep well enough. Thoughts?

Reparking the rifle won't make the stamping disappear. You may be filling in the stamping but at the same time time you are putting the same thickness of parkerization on the surface around the stamping so the depth of the stamping should remain the same. I would try everything and anything to try to remove the stain.....alcohol, mineral spirits, turpentine, soap and water, gasoline, brake cleaner, etc. I would remove and experiment on the rear sight cover. It's an inexpensive part.
    Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

Yep, not done trying to find a solvent for the splatter marks. Thought I would experiment on the receiver legs since they're hidden, but the rear sight cover is a good idea. thanks

Comment

I co-own a parking service. There are several chemicals that will remove the park from metal. Once it’s gone, it’s gone. You will have to have the receiver redone in manganese phosphate for the dark ‘charcoal color’. The first process after cleaning is grit blasting. That is why your markings are faint. Your rifle has gone thru this process several times. Look at the punch mark in front of the sights. I’ll bet it barely visible. I would discuss your issues with whomever you get to do the repark. If they just feather the heel, then you should be ok. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
        X