Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starhobos commented
    Yesterday, 11:02 PM
    my brother has one that does the same thing but in much worse shape. im sure his gas cylinder is leaking because you can pul right off by hand. might try swapping some parts to try it.

Pulling a gas cylinder off the barrel easily by hand just means that the 3 splines on the barrel are worn. It should not be the cause of your problems. The splines can be peened so that the gas cylinder stays tight on the barrel.
    Last edited by jak; 10-25-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• starhobos
      starhobos commented
      Editing a comment
      huh thats some good info im pretty new to these guns so im not aware of everything thats ok and not ok. been looking into them alot but ill admit defeat and take it to a gunsmith.

You may be working all around the problem and the answer could very easily just be as simple as changing the op spring. If the spring is weak or worn it will decrease the dwell time and pressure pulse needed for proper rifle function, shortening the bolt travel. You may also have wood to metal interference. Remove the stock and look for shiney areas where moving parts are rubbing and relieve those areas. It sounds like you have done what you need to get the gas system in spec EXCEPT change the op spring.

Look for metal to metal contact and grease those areas . BTW, you are using grease, right? Oil does not cut it in M1 lubrication. Grease must be used in the proper areas for reliable function.

Comment

Well thanks everyone for the responses. I was able to get her working by buying a 30-06 flex hone and honed the chamber went out and test fired it today and it functioned flawlessly. so glad i didnt have to take it to a gunsmith for outrageous costs. It ejects the brass at 3 Oclock is that normal?

Comment

Glad to hear it's now up and running.

Comment

Ejecting at 3 might indicate bolt speed is still a bit slow. It generally means the op rod isn't moving fast enough to contact the case as it's ejecting as it returns forward to the "normal" 1-2 o'clock. But ammo itself can be a factor. You might finish up that honing with either a tight patch of steel wool coated with Bore Paste or kitchen SoftScrub on a patch holder and cleaning rod inserted into to muzzle and turned with a drill. that will polish out any remaining imperfections that could still be hanging up the brass. It won't damage the chamber .

Comment

Cut the spring to 19 inches I build 10 of these got 8 new springs from Brownells installed new springs in all and basically all short stroked clips flying out cut em at 19 inches and on some shortned the hammer spring fixed em all period

Comment

Cut the op rod spring to 19 inches and maybe trim the hammer spring 1/8 of an inch and check to see if the end of the piston is covering the gas port it should cover half ive fixed a few trust me

Comment

Working...
              X