Barreling Vises or Fixtures ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barreling Vises or Fixtures ???

What are your preferences for use as barreling vises or fixtures?

Any thoughts on a simple, yet effective, setup??
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Are you asking about Garand tools? If so I use a CMP vise and a home made receiver wrench. I think CMP discontinued these vises, to bad as they are nicer than others on the market. I also use these cheap digital levels and a hand made tool that slides onto the barrel at the splines for timing the barrel
    If you can work with steel or have a buddy that does somewhere I should still have the blueprints for the receiver wrench

Last edited by Orlando; 09-09-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Comment

Will barrel timing gauge also M14 barrels?

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
          Will barrel timing gauge also M14 barrels?
          Not sure I understand what you are asking? Ask again

Comment

The tool (leveling bar) you made that fits over the gas cylinder splines on the M1 barrel, will it also fit the gas cylinder splines in a M14 barrel? Or is the barrel diameter on M14 barrel larger at the splines. Any chance you will offer these for sale to members.

Comment

It wont fit the M1A/M14. I wish I was handy working with metal. I had this one made years ago by a aquaintance. He only made one for me as a favor as he is very busy and doesnt make them for others

Comment

Orlando definitely has the receiver wrench option nailed. Never since the dawn of time has there ever been a better M1 Action wrench than the old CMP one he pictured. I have one and I can assure you there is no receiver you can't break free or barrel you can't eventually index with one of those honkin' dudes. Put a cheater on it and the receiver will break before the wrench will give. Why CMP stopped having them made and selling them I'll never know. I heard it was a conflict with the manufacturer and CMP is one known to hold grudges about things like that.

If you know someone who is a welder here are some plans for building close equivalents:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lini05h0dd...rench.pdf?dl=0

Comment

Some time ago I did a couple runs of "Wrench sets" which included a wrench that worked on the M1&M14 platform. They were made of 1"bar stock. Jersey Devil picked up a set and a few others off the 2 M14 Forums. I keep hoping a set would come up for sale or do a buy back program. Myself I think the "Al Story" barrel vise is the best thing going. Setting up for indexing is very easy and I use the Badger Ordinance fixture for indexing with a Starrett 6" machinist level. Maybe Brian or one of other guys will post pic's.
                  Pfc out

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                    Orlando definitely has the receiver wrench option nailed. Never since the dawn of time has there ever been a better M1 Action wrench than the old CMP one he pictured. I have one and I can assure you there is no receiver you can't break free or barrel you can't eventually index with one of those honkin' dudes. Put a cheater on it and the receiver will break before the wrench will give. Why CMP stopped having them made and selling them I'll never know. I heard it was a conflict with the manufacturer and CMP is one known to hold grudges about things like that.
                    Larry
                    That receiver wrench is actually hand made by abuddy of mine, but you are right that wrench will break anything free

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post

Larry
                      That receiver wrench is actually hand made by abuddy of mine, but you are right that wrench will break anything free
                      Wow, he did a great job. Looks like an exact copy of my CMP wrench.

Comment

It sure does

Comment

Working...
                        X