Staking type 2 rear sight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staking type 2 rear sight?

Hi all. I got an awesome 1943 SA Garand from CMP last week and found an original type 2 sight to replace the post war sight that came on it. I have the sight installed and it’s great, (I mean, it says Battle Range on it, how could it not be cool?) and I have a staking tool coming, but I don’t know the procedure for staking the sight so the locking bar can’t come off without screwing up the sight. Anyone know?

You should stake it just enough so that the lock bar won't unscrew completely and fall off the pinion. You don't want to stake the pinion so hard that you can't remove the lock bar. You may need to remove the sights later on.
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Thanks for your response. Do I screw the sight knob all the way in before I stake it? All the way out? How hard am I hitting this thing?

Comment

I would tighten the lockbar. Give it a light to medium hit then loosen the lockbar to see if it will stop near rhe end of the pinion. If not, repeat. You are not going into battle so you don't have to stake the pinion so hard that you will damage the lockbar or pinion if you have to remove the sight.
        Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Thanks Jak. That’s exactly what I needed to know.
          Last edited by Phineas; 07-22-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

or dont stake it at all, many arent

Comment

Working...
            X