Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeding issues on my 308 Garand

Hi,
    I recently acquired my first Garand on Gun Broker and to keep caliber variety to a minimum, I went with one in 308. The barrel is of unknown origin as it has only “308” stamped on the bottom but nothing else, which is a bit weird (has some finish wear so it is used). I have multiple gauges for 308: the headspace passes the Clymer GO/NOGO gauges, so it’s well within spec. The gas cylinder is also in spec using rod gauges. The piston measures 0.526”, which is very nice. The operating rod is 65 series, so it’s much newer then the rest of the gun. I changed the operating rod spring and the clip latch spring just for insurance (the free length of the spring is 19.75”). The timing seems correct and it works really well most of the time. There is a steel block in the action to keep from loading 30-06. Had one issue with bolt not going back far enough to feed the next round, so I cranked down the gas plug and that seemed to resolve it, though I had it on very tight before so not sure why it might have backed out a bit. The strange thing was two jams I had:
    1. A round was blocking the bolt, perfectly level between top of the bolt and part of receiver just above the barrel chamber.
    2. the other case was a round with the bullet partly in the chamber with the back of the round at the top of the bolt.

the enbloc clips I am using is a mix of new’ish AEC 3 and old BR-W ones and I did not notice which corresponded to these jams. The ammo was S&B 147 grain 7.62 NATO.
    would appreciate any ideas about the cause of these jams and how to prevent the gas plug from backing out.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by lp1911; 06-26-2021, 11:45 AM.

Couple of things. What is the size of the gas port in the barrel? Check gas cylinder lock screw for cracks and valve portion is seated. Clean chamber with chamber brush and bore cleaner. Does op rod pass the tilt test? Disassemble the bolt and clean all parts and holes in bolt. Check that ejector spring is not bent or that extractor spring is not deformed and that it has plunger in it. Lastly make sure the follower rod is not bent. Next time you shoot it use only the BR-W enblock clips.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
      Couple of things. What is the size of the gas port in the barrel? Check gas cylinder lock screw for cracks and valve portion is seated. Clean chamber with chamber brush and bore cleaner. Does op rod pass the tilt test? Disassemble the bolt and clean all parts and holes in bolt. Check that ejector spring is not bent or that extractor spring is not deformed and that it has plunger in it. Lastly make sure the follower rod is not bent. Next time you shoot it use only the BR-W enblock clips.
      The gas port is ~0.083”. The gas lock is well used but seems to be ok if perhaps a little rough on the face towards the gas tube, both are a bit rough, but perhaps the roughness matches. Op rod passes tilt test with no issues. The extractor spring is perfectly normal, that ejector one is not perfect, but relatively ok looking. The follower rod is quite straight. Is the gas port too small? I heard for 308 it should be more like 0.096-0.104”…
      Last edited by lp1911; 06-26-2021, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Gas port is on the small size. It should be closer to .096. I believe a number 41 drill bit is the correct size (.096). If you drill it out yourself make sure you buy a new hi quality HS drill bit. A number 40 drill bit is .098. When i drill my gas port I started with a #42 .0935 then used a #41. I used a drill press and fixture to hold the barrel. To be on the safe side I inserted loose fitting drill rod in the bore at the muzzle to just past the gas port as I did not trust the stop on the drill press. You may want a qualified gunsmith do it.
        Last edited by RDS; 06-26-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
          Gas port is on the small size. It should be closer to .096. I believe a number 41 drill bit is the correct size (.096). If you drill it out yourself make sure you buy a new hi quality HS drill bit. A number 40 drill bit is .098. When i drill my gas port I started with a #42 .0935 then used a #41. I used a drill press and fixture to hold the barrel. To be on the safe side I inserted loose fitting drill rod in the bore at the muzzle to just past the gas port as I did not trust the stop on the drill press. You may want a qualified gunsmith do it.
          this guy makes it look easy:
          https://youtu.be/i-zm5pyWPSc

Comment

You said you replaced op rod springs but didnt say what brand you used? If Wollf brand that may be your problem. Also new AEC 3 enblocs can cause issues

Comment

From what you wrote it seems the cartridges are popping out of the clip before they start to enter the chamber.
              The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
              The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                You said you replaced op rod springs but didnt say what brand you used? If Wollf brand that may be your problem. Also new AEC 3 enblocs can cause issues
                Not Wolff, bought from one of the Garand specific vendors, either ammogarand.com or Garandpartsandmore.com. Bought a spring and pin kit

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                  From what you wrote it seems the cartridges are popping out of the clip before they start to enter the chamber.
                  yes, it does seem that way.

Comment

So I did two things (not a very scientific approach changing two variables at once, but cannot go to the range every day): opened the gas port to 0.096” using a #41 drill bit and only used BR-W enbloc clips at the range. The rifle ate everything from Turkish and Czech M80 to Russian steel cased 308 (45gr). Everything fed and ejected without a hitch running 100 rounds of ammo. So thank you all for your suggestions.
                    One question remaining: is there any way to keep the brass from going to 5 o’clock (it was doing that before too, but was the least of my concerns)?

Comment

Some guys mess with the length of the ejector spring. Before you do that I would replace both the ejector and spring with new old stock ones. I have never had to shorten the ejector spring myself.
                      Last edited by RDS; 06-29-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

7.62 NATO rifles may have a different ejection pattern, never used one. My Garands, once greased up, eject forward around 1:00 o'clock. The last one goes to around 5:00 o'clock.

Comment

So I tried AEC clips again (using the same ammo), and some of the jamming resumed, particularly on 7th round in the 11 o'clock position. BR-W clips definitely work much better. I found a forum where others complain about occasional 7th round jamming with AEC clips. The claim there is that the opening on the AEC's is too narrow, and it is definitely quite a bit more narrow than on the BR-Ws. I guess with use it may open up some, but I have 40 of the BR-Ws, so I think I am set with the clips. Did have one 2nd round not getting picked up, so may need to open the gas port a touch more, currently at 0.096", I believe the Navy used 0.1065", but maybe I will do just a little more, #40 drill (0.098").

Comment

It's interesting, though I guess logical, that as I increased the size of the gas port, many more of the cases are now hitting the corner in front of the operating rod handle, leaving brass marks, and getting sent forward, rather than behind me. The operating rod is presumably moving faster which causes it to hit the brass on it's way out of the action and batting it forward to the right (1-2 o'clock)

Comment

That is how a .30-06 Garand is supposed to toss it's empties. Better straight ahead than pelt the guy to your right with hot brass.

Comment

Working...
                              X