Failure to cycle - i think its my gas cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failure to cycle - i think its my gas cylinder

My Garand doesn't cycle. Bolt is not stripping a fresh round from the clip. Chamber is empty. Piston is .5248/.5247 (two measures 90 deg apart), so a little under .525. Cylinder accepts .528 pin, pin slides through freely. .530 pin does not go in either end. Bore gauge measures .5285/.5286 at the muzzle So the piston is slightly small, but the cylinder is well under .532, so the clearance isn't bad. Bore is clean and shiny except for a dull area near the sling swivel that extends about an inch into the bore. Bore measures .529/.545 at the sling swivel. Looks like machining marks in this area from a twist drill or a boring bar. Gun worked well until a long day at the range. Went home, gave it a serious cleaning and it hasn't worked since. My guess is gas is venting before the bolt gets behind the top round. My thought was the wear slowly filled with carbon enough so that it cycled normally, then I cleaned it and no joy. But the machining marks are a mystery. Doesn't look like wear marks, and no scraping on the piston. Is my gas cylinder junk?

Perhaps some carbon buildup may have helped. EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! Did you properly (thoroughly) grease the rifle before/during assembly?
    This is a good reference: Greasing the M1 Garand (garandgear.com)
    Hit every location shown, any good automotive grease will work fine.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

.525 is Field Reject...piston is undersized. Will a garand function with a slightly undersized piston? If gas cylinder specs next to new it should but if both parts are worn you are asking for issues
      PIN gages are not a accurate way to measure gas cylinder, need the proper gage and need to learn how to use it. The only end of gas cylinder you measure is the front , not the back

Also need to make sure gas screw is TIGHT and there are no cracks on the back side of valve . Another thing to check is make sure screw/valve does not leak.
      Last edited by Orlando; 03-14-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Also, be sure the gas port in the barrel is completely clear and not clogged.

Comment

What strikes me is the rifle functioned fine at first. Short-cycling is also a result of drag on the system from inadequate lubrication. There's a "dry is good" foolishness that seems to be extant these days, and it's wrecked many rifles. It you did not grease your Garand on assembly after cleaning, that is why it doesn't work now. In that case, take it apart and grease it everywhere as shown in the website I linked to above. Another mistake folks make is tightening down the gas cylinder lock too much. Not only can that block the gas port somewhat, but will wreck accuracy if the forward handguard isn't a little "rattle" loose. First and foremost, the rifle MUST BE GREASED.
          Last edited by Smokey; 03-26-2021, 08:33 AM.
          The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
          The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

I have been following this. Did you ever find the source of your problem?

Comment

I saw over on another site that he has fixed his problem. Turned out to be WW2 ammo manufactured by a Middle East company.

Comment

Working...
              X