Ejection troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ejection troubleshooting

All the searching I can find says ejection problems are either poor lubrication or wear, and that causes brass to fly further to the right and eventually to behind the shooter...from 1 to 3 then to 4 o'clock. mine ejects brass forward. 11 to 1 o'clock. Yes brass sometimes lands forward and to the left of the bore axis. There is noticeable brass transfer on the charging handle so obviously brass is bouncing off it hard. I have a new op rod spring installed and everything greased or oiled per specs. It would be nice to keep brass on the concrete pad at the range, not have to go forward of the firing line to retrieve it! Suggestions on where to check next?

Ammo is mostly 150 grain Speer flat base soft points and 45 grains of IMR4895 in commercial cases.

You might want to trim your ejector spring a coil or two shorter, to change the point in time that it [your case] contacts the oprod hump. This will also change the angle at which the hump whacks your brass. Start small and trim until satisfied, if you were to go too far the part is not fabricated from unobtanium nor is it particularly expensive.
    Last edited by LavaTech; 08-13-2020, 06:11 PM. Reason: ooops, clarity

Comment

some of my garands do the same thing, I dont worry about it. As long as rifle is firing it doesnt matter to me where the brass lands

Comment

With proper ammo, the rifle is supposed to toss the empties forward, to around 1 o'clock. It's normal to get scuffing on the operating rod since that is part of the process. Tossing empties to the right is a problem for the soldier to your side. In one match the competitor to my left was bouncing his empties off my head. I had a steel pot (on a whim) in the shooting pack so I put that on and wasn't bothered much anymore.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Thanks for the info. At my range, forward of the firing line is both typically weedy grass and requires a cold range to go fetch brass...which tends to irritate the other shooters after a bit. I do have a spring kit so I think I'll try trimming the spring and see if I can tune it a bit. If I fail I have a new one ready to go.

Comment

Working...
          X