Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfeed 7th or 8th round

Dear forum members,

I have a problem with my Springfield m1 that I would like some advise about. I have bought this rifle about 8th years ago, and it shot fine. The only thing that bothered me was that with every shot there was a small flame coming out of the chamber as the gun was cycling. This was while shooting Danish AMA m2 ball ammo. When I cleaned the rifle I noticed that the op rod tab has a chip in it on the left bottom corner (see picture attached). So I went ahead and bought a brand new one in Danmark. I was still in grease and wrapped in paper.

With the new op-rod installed I am having a 7th round misfeed. The empty case is ejected but it does not feed the seventh round at all, but the bolt closes on an empty chamber. Today I have tried to shoot it with the top round in the clip located on the left, and now the same thing happens but this time on the 8th round.

Thank you very much in advance and greeting from the Netherlands,

Leen

Welcome to the forum.

Even though it may be a new op rod check the diameter of the piston. It should be 0.525 or greater. Not sure what it should be in millimeters.
    Is everything lubricated properly ?
    How freely does the new op rod move ? Check it with the rifle in and out of the stock.
    Is the gas lock screw tight ?
    Is the gas port clear ?
    Have you replaced the op rod spring ?
    Last edited by jak; 07-13-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Did this just start after changing the op rod?

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Yes it did start after replacing the op-rod. I swapped it for a new one because I noticed that there was a small chip missing (see picture above). How bad do you think it looks? Otherwise all I have to do is swapping the op rod.

I also noticed that there was some small flames coming out of the chamber as the rifle was cycling, with the old op-rod installed. With the new one installed this went away.

I did not change the op rod spring, but I do have a extra power one from Wolff.

And perhaps the new rod is binding on the stock. I did try a tit test but not with the stock attached to the rifle.

Comment

Extra power springs can cause issues, I dont suggest using them. Flames coming out of chamber? You need to have someone look at your rifle. This is not something that can be diagnosed without seeing the rifle

Comment

Thank you for your reply Orlando.

Yes there is a small flash visible as the rifle cycles when I am shooting Danish AMA .30-06 ammunition in it. This ammunition is loaded a bit on the hot side, so that might be the reason why. With the new op-rod installed there is no flash visible. I suspect that this op-rod is binding slightly and by doing so letting the bolt open more slowly.

I have tried to cycle a full clip filled with empty cases. When I cycle the rifle by hand it feeds all the eight cases flawlessly.

Greetings,

Leen

Comment

Hand cycling rounds vs live fire are two different things. You will have to go to the range to check the operation. Orlando is correct about extra power springs. Did you check the length of your original op rod spring ? It should be 19.0"-20.25". Did you find any rub marks on the stock from the new op rod ?

Comment

Getting back to your question about the chip missing on the tab on your original op rod. I don't like it. The bottom right rear corner is worn too.

Comment

Thanks for your reply jak,

I did check the entire rifle yesterday. I did find that the op rod spring was 19,5" in length. I also have a new one that is 19,8" in length. So I will try the latter one in my rifle.

The op rod in the picture is a WW2 vintage WRA one and it has the cut in it. It is completely out of spec:

Tab height: .300
                  Tab width: .259
                  The piston measures at: .525

The "brand new" op rod that I have installed on the rifle is in spec. This is an Springfield WW2 vintage op rod also with the cut made in it.

Tab height: .318
                  Tab width: .265
                  The piston measures at: .525

So it seems that the old op rod was out of spec and could potentially cause problems.

I went ahead and measured the gas cylinder. I do not have the proper gauge for it so I used my micrometer. With this I measured .518. But I think that measuring this with a micrometer is not the best way to do it. By the way I measured the front of the gas cylinder on the side of the plug.

One part that I did find to be out of spec is the clip latch. The tab on the side of the spring measured .132, but the other one (on the narrow side of the latch) measured .148. The latter being out of spec. Also I noticed that the spring feels a little weak and does not stay in the latch but falls out.

Could the latch cause my 7th round misfeed.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge,

Leen

Comment

Hello,

Just one more update. I just put the rifle back together, with the good op rod on it. I also have a idea why the rifle was short stroking on the 7th round. The last I cleaned the rifle (and put the new op rod on it) I tabbed the gas cylinder all the way to the back. In a garand manual that I have downloaded is stated as followed: Push the cylinder down until the forward edge is flush with the larger diameter portion of the barrel. So I think that the problem was the gas cylinder being installed to far rearward.

I will shoot the rifle tomorrow and report back.

Leen

Comment

Hello m1 enthousiasts.

I have shot the rifle again and or still has the 7th round failure to feed. 2 out of 4 clips this happend. Any advice is very kuch appreciated.

Leen

Comment

When I install the gas cylinder I install the gas lock until it won't go any further, then I back it off until it lines up with the gas cylinder and install the gas lock screw to pull the gas cylinder forward to the gas lock.
                        What kind of gas lock screw do you have.....single slot or poppet style ? If you have the poppet style make sure that the spring is strong and it seals correctly and there is no carbon build up around the valve. If nothing else works, try the extra power op rod spring for a test run.

Comment

Thanks for your help again jak,

The way that you install the gas cylinder seems like the way to go. I`ll try the extra power Wolff spring and report back. What do you think about the measurements I did? And do you think that an out of spec clip latch and spring could give these problems?

Leen

Comment

Originally posted by Leendert View Post
                            Thanks for your help again jak,

What do you think about the measurements I did? And do you think that an out of spec clip latch and spring could give these problems?

Leen
                            No, A weak clip latch spring would be more likely to let the enbloc eject with rounds still in it. Pull the op rod all the way back with your palm and hold it there.
                            Push down on the follower and slide with your thumb, still holding the op rod back. Now push the clip latch with your left hand and you will sell how the clip latch tabs contacts the op rod catch and the enbloc. I don't see how the width of the clip latch tab would affect contact with the op rod catch. As long as you have sharp edges and the correct width on the enbloc side of the clip latch, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I never had a worn out clip latch. I have replaced plenty of clip latch springs though.

Comment

Thanks for your reply again jak, it is very helpful. By the way, the gas plug on my rifle is a solid one. I just went ahead and installed the extra power Wolff spring in my rifle and I will fire it tomorrow.

Another question: Is it possible to make your own gauge for the gas cylinder. It is hard to get one here in Europe.

Leen

Comment

Working...
                              X