Windage knob erratic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windage knob erratic?

First Garand, second range trip. I actually had enough ammo to sight it in this time. The elevation adjustments worked fine. When I tried to adjust windage it didn't move for 2 full clicks and then went way left. The clicks were solid feeling/sounding. There is about a quarter turn between windage clicks if that is normal? This was 50 yards with the windage line centered. I could not adjust to center the group.

No not normal at all. Possibly cracked nut inside windage knob?

Comment

So basically I need to tear it down and look for obvious problems...thanks. I worked with it more last night and with mild hand pressure I can either prevent it or force it to move when I turn the knob.

Comment

I disassembled, cleaned, and inspected everything. Simple mechanism. I could find nothing wrong. Threads are good and tight. Maybe there was some debris that didn't let the knob fall back into its detent properly. I'll check it out on the next range trip...

Comment

You should have noticed that the shaft that the windage knob goes on has a "flat on it. Inside the windage knob is a "D" shaped ring. You can hold the windage knob up to a light and see the "D". When installing the windage knob you have to rotate the windage knob until it lines up with shaft. You will have problems if the "D" inside the windage knob is damaged or missing.

Comment

Seems to be working now. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X