Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is correct length of the oprod spring modified to be ued in a M1 Tanker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is correct length of the oprod spring modified to be ued in a M1 Tanker.

I purchased an M1 Garand Tanker (imitation T26) at an estate auction. I cleaned it up, made sure it dry cycled properly, and then took it out to shoot. On the range, the tanker did not cycle very well. After inserting a full en-bloc into the tanker and releasing the bolt the first cartridge needed an assist to fully load. When fired the first casing was ejected but the second round jammed the bolt open with the whole cartridge not loading into the chamber. Additional rounds fired continued to jam the tanker. Took gun home for full disassembly. Best I could tell was that all the parts looked serviceable. I then decided to check oprod spring assembly. So I disassembled a regular standard-issue Grand and measured its oprod spring. Its length was just shy of 20 inches. I then measured the tanker spring. It measured less than 13 inches. I just ordered a new oprod spring and need to know exactly how long the tanker spring should be. I know that to make the tanker, 6 inches was removed from the gun. Now before I good up and cut a new oprod spring too short and continue to have cycling problems, I thought I better ask for help. Can anyone please tell me the right length the oprod spring for the tanker needs to be?????? Hell I 75 years old and I want to enjoy shooting the tanker. Please assist if you can..

I would suggest buying the correct spring instead of cutting up a new garand spring.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/operat...newtanker.aspx

Comment

May have absolutely nothing to do with op rod spring. Many tankers do not run well as they were not made by reputable manufacture

Comment

Wolff springs makes springs for Tankers. Can you post photos of your Tanker?

Comment

Wolff springs are the best because the coils are further apart& allow for compression. Also, you can use the same follower rod instead of buying one for $59.95. Regular springs have the coils too close & may lock up, preventing the bolt to pick up the next round. Also, check the lower band. The op rod may drag on it. You should use the 1 3/4 front handguard. The Garand Guy ,com has them.

Comment

Working...
          X