Short stroking on a new CMP special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short stroking on a new CMP special

I bought a new CMP special and I am having a terrible time with it not picking up a new round from the clip. It eject the round after firing but does not pick up the next round. I rack the slide by hand and it goes right in with absolutely no issue. I have used original Enblocs loaded with original ammo right from the spam cans, I have used USGI Enblocs with M2 ammo from the cardboard boxes for the Springfield 03A3 and I have used the USGI Enblocs and my own 150 grain reloads . All exactly the same issue. Not every round and not the same round every time but at least one and many times several rounds per clip. I disassembled this rifle when I got it to check on the lubrication and all of the parts and it all looked good but I did notice that I had a very hard time getting the trigger gaurd to release and an even harder time to get reattached. I thought something was binding since it would not go the last inch into the locked position without having to force it in. I never force anything on a firearm! But after looking at it and checking everything many times over I came to the conclusion that with the new stock it is just tight. I read that tight makes for more accurate but I also read it can cause this issue. Just how tight should that trigger guard be in closing? And where would I relieve the wood to ease that pressure?

The stocks are made so the loosest worn trigger guards can work ok. With most of the trigger groups, you have to trim the bearing surface. I do 6 strokes with a rasp, & 6 strokes with a medium file. I also trim the area where the rear tang of the trigger housing rests. I have received M1's with the hackberry stock where the trigger guard was hammered shut; this could cause binding of the op rod.

Comment

First time poster here - sorry for the newbie question and forgive me if this issue has been discussed elsewhere... I have a service grade 1944 Springfield M1 Garand that I have completely broken down, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled - everything went back together perfectly except for the very last step: I am unable to

DON"T REMOVE ANY WOOD

Also, the CMP special is freshly parked and offer more resistance than worn finished. Replace the op rod spring too.
      Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

Thanks guys, I had actually started a different thread on this problem when I got no answers here and that thread took off. I ended up calling the CMP since it was brand new and they told me to send it right back and they would get right on it. I sent it on a Monday and I had it back on Friday of the same week!!!!!! Here is a link to the thread that includes all of the details but the short and sweet is that the gas port hole was drilled a hair small. I talked to the gunsmith that worked on it and he told me it could have been as simple as a drill bit at the end of it's service life. They also put in a NEW op rod, not used, but brand new!! He told me they don't like it when one comes back. THAT, my friend, is how you do customer service!

https://www.m1garandforum.com/forum/...er-assembly-be

Comment

Working...
        X