Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolt disassy

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bolt disassy

    Relatively new here...is there a way to disassemble the bolt without the 'tool'?

  • #2
    Yes by using the M10 combo tool. The tool was designed to pop out the extractor.

    Comment


    • #4
      Thank you for your responses, but the question was "without the 'tool'". I don't have a tool and need to know if there is a work around.

      Comment


      • #5
        Originally posted by HALOJM View Post
        Thank you for your responses, but the question was "without the 'tool'". I don't have a tool and need to know if there is a work around.
        You can use a flat blade screwdriver to start working out the extractor. Wear safety glasses too.

        Comment


        • #6
          Originally posted by jak View Post

          You can use a flat blade screwdriver to start working out the extractor. Wear safety glasses too.
          Be very careful as the ejector plunger and spring may go flying off to never, never land. Do no lose the extractor spring and plunger.

          Comment


          • #7
            Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help, especially the video 'show and tell'. I do use plastic bags to disassemble springs to contain them.

            You guys probably aren't old enough to remember the Smiling Ed Show on early Sat. morning TV in the mid '50s. There was a segment that had a frog puppet. When it was time, Smiling Ed would say "Plunk your magic twanger FroggGGIE!" There would be the sound of a spring being released and the frog puppet would appear in a cloud of smole saying..."Hi'ya kids, Hi'ya..Hi'ya".

            I took a spring out of a Mossberg once and it made the same sound....but no Froggie, no spring.

            Comment


            • #8
              How do you intend to reassemble the bolt with out tools? There are ways. I'll let someone else explain.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by RDS View Post
                How do you intend to reassemble the bolt with out tools? There are ways. I'll let someone else explain.
                It can be reassembled using that same flat bladed screw driver that you disassembled it with. Or, use a 30-06 case to depress the ejector to get the extractor installed.
                The OP asked about "THE TOOL", i.e., a bolt tool, not tools in general.
                Jon
                Last edited by TJT; 09-01-2018, 10:36 PM.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by HALOJM View Post

                  You guys probably aren't old enough to remember the Smiling Ed Show on early Sat. morning TV in the mid '50s. There was a segment that had a frog puppet. When it was time, Smiling Ed would say "Plunk your magic twanger FroggGGIE!" There would be the sound of a spring being released and the frog puppet would appear in a cloud of smole saying..."Hi'ya kids, Hi'ya..Hi'ya".

                  .
                  ....but I remember Howdy Doodie, Sheriff John, Engineer Bill and Uncle Luther.. Does that count?
                  Jon

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Never tried reassemble with a screw driver. Can you explain how its done, I always used a M10 combo tool till I broke down and purchased a bolt disassemble tool. I got tried of looking for ejector and spring when they went flying. What is nice about the tool it works on M1 Garand and M14.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      I just put my thumb over the end and push the extractor out with needle nose pliers. With a little practice and a gallon clear zip lock bag I assemble with a short stubby flat tip screwdriver. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to do. I do it inside the bag because sometimes in a hurry the screwdriver will slip and the spring will come out.

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by CCyooper View Post
                        I just put my thumb over the end and push the extractor out with needle nose pliers. With a little practice and a gallon clear zip lock bag I assemble with a short stubby flat tip screwdriver. Once you get the hang of it, it is easy to do. I do it inside the bag because sometimes in a hurry the screwdriver will slip and the spring will come out.
                        How do you reassemble? What do you use to compress the ejector. Before buying the bolt disassemble tool I used a M10 combo tool or a M14 cleaning rod handle. Just curious as take down is easier than reassembly.

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by RDS View Post

                          How do you reassemble? What do you use to compress the ejector. Before buying the bolt disassemble tool I used a M10 combo tool or a M14 cleaning rod handle. Just curious as take down is easier than reassembly.
                          I use a pin punch (5/32 I think) to help reassemble the bolt. I stand the bolt vertical on my workbench, push in the ejector with the pin punch and push in the extractor with my thumb. Wear safety glasses or a full face mask doing it this way because the the ejector is aiming right at your face....Ask me how I know
                          The M1 carbine bolt is a different story. I need the bolt tool for that rifle.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by RDS View Post

                            How do you reassemble? What do you use to compress the ejector. Before buying the bolt disassemble tool I used a M10 combo tool or a M14 cleaning rod handle. Just curious as take down is easier than reassembly.
                            .

                            I googled bolt assembly and Rick Borecky does it the same way on a utube video he created. He holds his screwdriver different than I do but it’s the same idea. At one time I cut a small sheet metal disc and screwed it to the end of a dowel that fit a bolt on the side of my work bench. I would just push the bolt and spring in and just push down the extractor. I upgraded my bench and since I don’t work with bolts that much anymore I just use the screwdriver technique. You can also use the screwdriver to pop out the extractor but I prefer the needle nose pliers.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X