Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJ Brink
    replied
    Ya when I picked my New Garand CMP had changed the Barrel in2019 new GFE Barrel. It really shoots great, I am or was really low on Ammo, so I’ve been on a mission to get more. One of our troopers helped me out, another local Trooper has a 308 Navy, and sold me what he had left in 30/06. Total surprise, never expected it. Called me this morning with the news. Going to start calling him Santa!( Just Kidding) he he, hey Troopers HNY AJ

Leave a comment:

• Smokey
    replied
    The water/ammonia mix really gets rid of the potassium salts that cause the corrosion. Used corrosive Russian ammo for 30 years in a M91 MN with no damage by cleaning out the salts, then using Hoppes and an oil film. I tend to let the solvent sit for a few minutes, then patch it out; repeat if necessary. I don't scrub repeatedly with brushes to avoid damage to the bore, even though I use a ferrule at the muzzle. I've dealt with "coned" at the muzzle bores from cleaning rod wear and other than maybe counterboring, the only way to restore accuracy is to replace the barrel.

Leave a comment:

• MRusan
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    I've never once cleaned any of my rifles...just kidding,I prefer the rod.
    Spare the rod, spoil the child...

Leave a comment:

• AJ Brink
    replied
    I’ve ran into corrosive ammunition lately, maybe Old Korean loads,but I’ve been using ammonia and hot water to clean my barrel after I shoot. Dry the barrel with patches, I cut an old sponge and place it in the action I only go one way, removing the soiled patch, I always remove my bolt on my 1903 and back clean it, the M-1 makes it little harder, to clean that corrosive stuff has got to be cleaned out of that barrel right away. AJ

Leave a comment:

• jtsjc1
    replied
    I have the carbon fiber Tipton cleaning rod I've been using for years on all my rifles its great. With the jag and the brush no problem.

Leave a comment:

• AJ Brink
    replied
    This is an old post, not to offend any of my friends, but I’ve never used that bore snake, and that kit in the But stock the steel rod I think 5 pieces all steel, I don’t use that. I have a solid aluminum cleaning rod, and yes I take it with me when I go to the range, to fire. I usually shoot 20 rounds, ammunition is getting hard to get, even in 150gr, M2 so I’ve been conserving at that rate, until I start getting my 48 round bandoliers, again. But to make a long story short, after I fire I clean dipped in hoppies a bore brush, usually two swipes, I have a bottle with dry cleaning fluid clean the brush and dip it in Hoppies and run it again that bore brush is stored in the dry cleaning fluid. The crap is amazing that comes out of that barrel . Patch with Hoppies and dry patch, then use Remington oil pan patch the barrel. And store I fire 1903 and M-1 Garand.

Leave a comment:

• jak
    replied
    Originally posted by m14msgt View Post
    What patches are best for cleaning Garand?
    I always use good quality cotton patches for all my guns.

Leave a comment:

• m14msgt
    replied
    What patches are best for cleaning Garand?

Leave a comment:

• TJT
    replied
    Rod and patches.
    Jon

Leave a comment:

• Prince Humperdink
    replied
    I've never once cleaned any of my rifles...just kidding,I prefer the rod.

Leave a comment:

• CCyooper
    replied
    To pile on, I am with Phil. I use them for a quick wipe. However, that said, if you break a bore snake in your bore you will most likely never use one again.

Leave a comment:

• Phos Boss
    replied
    I start with the bore snake to get the big stuff but finish with the rod. Can't beat patches.

Leave a comment:

• boomerpusher
    replied
    Have to agree with Mike on barrel crown damage. Had a Browning Safarie in 300 Win Mag that was a tack driver and it some how got a nick in the barrel crown and I thought I had pickup a shotgun instead of my favorite Elk rifle. Take care of the crown!

Leave a comment:

• Mike13A5P
    replied
    The snake is good for a "quick and dirty" cleaning right after a range session but, as others have said, rod, patch, jag are the way to get a really clean bore. I believe the one area of concern, when cleaning with a rod, is protecting the barrel crown when, if damaged, can affect accuracy big time.

Leave a comment:

• jak
    replied
    1 comment

• #6.1

Garanditis commented
      09-12-2016, 08:36 PM

I've only been in the GCA for about a year now. Any chance this article is available online?

Part 2 of the article on Muzzle Erosion is in the Spring 2009 issue of the GCA magazine.
    I don't have part 1, but the Spring 2009 gives a brief overview of part 1 and the results of their test.
    I would post copies here on the forum but the GCA gestapo would come after me for copyright infringement.
    Last edited by jak; 09-16-2016, 02:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X