cleaning rod cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cleaning rod cases

I have had these for awhile, appear to be from the WW2 period, some are carbine

Wow this must have been when the segmented rod was just starting to come out. Very early on it was a solid long cleaning rod and if you look closely in many WW2 photos of GIs marching out, you will see only one GI in a large group with the handle of the cleaning rod sticking out of the muzzle of his rifle. One soldier was assigned to carry the only cleaning rod for the unit.

As the war progressed they eventually came out with a segmented rod that is very different from the later segmented cleaning kits of the Korean and post Korean era. These cases are probably for the very early segmented kits. These kits are great for completing a rifle collection but the rods should never actually be used except maybe in an emergency cleaning situation out on the range.

I have a couple to help accessorize and keep for conversation pieces but I only use a professional Dewey coated cleaning rod and Delrin muzzle guide for the M1 Garand.
    Last edited by Garandman; 08-25-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

The cleaning rod M1 D8237, jointed was adopted in 1934 for the Springfield 1903 but was also used with the M1 rifle. The long solid rod was the M3, also used by machine gunners to clean the Browning m/g's. There is also a long solid cleaning rod with a steel egg shaped handle from the WW1 period (I have one)

Comment

Working...
      X