M1907 Leather Sling Cleaning and Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1907 Leather Sling Cleaning and Maintenance

What do you guys use to clean, maintain, and protect the M1907 Leather sling on your Rifle(s)?

Saddle soap and Mink oil.
    Jon

Comment

I bought a leather sling from the CMP blindly. I don't know anything about it except that it needs to be taken care of. I started researching it, including reading a lot of past posts in the forums, and I could find zero consensus on how to treat this sling. There was not a single post advocating a treatment that did not have another, equally reasonable-sounding post that completely contradicted it, often by saying that the former method would ruin the sling. I still have not found anything I've felt completely safe using, and I went through a lot of content researching it.

EDIT: Okay, this thread got me searching again. I did some more research and found posts from a member of the CMP Forums called Turner Saddlery, who clearly has a deep knowledge of leather and how to take care of it. Based on his recommendation, I settled on Turner Saddlery Military Leather Dressing. This is made by Pecards, whom Turner Saddlery approached to manufacture based on their specs. Apparently, what is good about this dressing is that it preserves the stiffness in a sling, preventing it from getting stretchy and useless as a shooting sling.

Pecards makes another dressing, but many users complained of a white substance appearing over time on their slings, a "bloom." Apparently, this comes from the Pecards displacing other, prior dressings that ooze to the surface. It apparently isn't bad for slings to use Pecards, just a nuisance in having the bloom appear, and having to remove it.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by adanac; 06-21-2022, 05:07 PM.
      Sorry Mr. President, the people we defeated in WW2 were not "fine people," and America's war dead are not "suckers" and "losers."

Comment

Here is the product.
        Sorry Mr. President, the people we defeated in WW2 were not "fine people," and America's war dead are not "suckers" and "losers."

Comment

Working...
        X